Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
I've read the posts for changing this belt. Seemed like a quick 5 minute job. Mine is squeaking like MAD.
I have a 1/2" breaker bar and can see where to insert it on the tensioner. Problem is, DIRECTLY in front of
hole for the breaker bar is a metal A/C refrigerant line. After trying for a while, I haven't been able to get
the drive into the tensioner. Very frustrating! I'm a little nervous about putting too much pressure on the
metal line. Any suggestions?

Look at the tensioner arm. The square hole accepts a half inch drive ratchet or breaker bar. Use it to relieve tension on the belt and slip it off of the pulley. Remove the belt, install the new one using the belt diagram under the hood, leaving it off of the tensioner pulley until last. Use the ratchet or breaker bar again and slip it over the tensioner pulley.
I've read the posts for changing this belt. Seemed like a quick 5 minute job. Mine is squeaking like MAD.
I have a 1/2" breaker bar and can see where to insert it on the tensioner. Problem is, DIRECTLY in front of
hole for the breaker bar is a metal A/C refrigerant line. After trying for a while, I haven't been able to get
the drive into the tensioner. Very frustrating! I'm a little nervous about putting too much pressure on the
metal line. Any suggestions?

Duplicate posts from different threads merged.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,318 Posts
There should be some flex in the A/C line (not sure how much you need). Maybe there is a hold down you could remove?

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pried the metal line as little as possible. Got it off. What were the engineers thinking? Anyway, getting it back on will be fun. I don't
see how doing the tensioner pulley last will work. I can't get my hands down there. I'll try the big pulley at the top rear last.
Will update when I'm done.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked ALLDATA. Whoever hired me as a mechanic sure wouldn't keep me long! It's obvious I'm not one! Longest time given for
changing the Accessory drive belt was 0.5 hours. If I had pulled the battery first, I might have made it?
It was like cheating with the battery out of there! It was also easy to put the belt over all pulleys and saving the large power steering
pulley for last. It was right up top and easy to get to. Also, holding tension on the tension pulley while trying to snake the
wide flat belt around the back of it? Brought back too many images of past blood sacrifices on previous "easy" jobs!
No thank you! The key for me was pulling the battery! So simple with that out of the way!

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
IIRC the tensioner, or at least the one I installed, had in addition to a horizontal 1/2" port, a vertical one for topside access.

The engineers were tasked wit fitting a large engine/transaxle into a small package. It is a tight fit in there, but I feel they did a good job overall.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC the tensioner, or at least the one I installed, had in addition to a horizontal 1/2" port, a vertical one for topside access.

The engineers were tasked wit fitting a large engine/transaxle into a small package. It is a tight fit in there, but I feel they did a good job overall.
Engineers do get a bad rap! They're tasked with almost impossible situations with many modifications. Oh, "Don't spend any $!" is usually
part of the deal! I saw the vertical hole but, wasn't able to figure out a way to utilize it. If the 1/2" breaker bar had the right bend in it's handle?
I still remember the 302 Maverick where mechanics would drill holes in the wheel well to change the rear spark plug! Yeah, this one wasn't too
bad. Just took me a while to sort it out. We look at one car, the engineers have to think of many variations.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have the new tensioner & belt installed. Interesting little puzzle! There's a black corrugated metal tube bent in a U shape going from
a block where a large coolant hose attaches up to another block at the end of the rear head. I'll try and attach/include the pics. What is it
for and if it's loose, can it cause idle/acceleration problems? It seems too short? Doesn't fit all the way on the attachment tubes. Almost
looks like it supposed to transfer heat? Nothing like a vacuum line though. File too large to upload.
Anyway, it goes between the large water pump pulley and the drivers side dog bone "engine stabilizer"? Aluminum piece with
large rubber inserts at each end?
Took a closer look after the rain! It seems to be a solid metal tube with the outside protected by the corrugated aluminum/paper
to keep someone from burning themselves by touching it!

·
Registered
'99 eldo blk on blk, '13 ATS,'13 SRX premium
225 Posts
try using an appropriate length extension keeping in mind the center of the square hole will be higher or lower
with belt off

1 - 10 of 10 Posts