Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS, Silver on Black, lux,Bose edition
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil for the first time. I replaced the oil filter but I am un-sure how much to tighten the filter cannister top. I was afraid to crank it down because the threads didn't seem to bottom out. I couldn't find a manual for the car at the parts store. It's an 07 3.6 liter. Thanks for any help from those of you who do your own oil changes.

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
I don't know an exact number, but make sure it's not too tight because it's aluminum and will strip pretty easily. I would go finger-tight and then just a little bit of 'snugging up' with a wrench without it being too tight. Also being aluminum, the metal will expand when hot.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I see these overtightened way too often.
It really doesn't have to be tight at all.
The O-ring seals it, it doesn't hold the engine together.
Just tight enough so that it doesn't come loose.... really.
Hardly tight at all.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
18 foot pounds of torque with a torque wrench is correct per the manual. Another important thing to take note of is that the oil filter housing and its threads are cast aluminum and therefore are subject to expansion and contraction due to heat.

When removing the oil filter housing and to prevent any damage to the aluminum housing threads; allow sufficient time for it to cool down before removing it.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
urb, this is one of those paper type ones with an aluminum cover. You are thinking of a spin on filter.

·
Registered
07 CTS, Silver on Black, lux,Bose edition
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the torque specs, that's what I was hoping to find out. :)

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I need to start doing my own oil changes on this car, as I have done on others. Watching the techs change oil makes me blood curdle.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
Sorry to bring back this post but I just noticed that my oil filter top is leaking a little bit! I check and guess what, the dealer tightened it at about 50-60 lbs of torque.. I unscrew it! put it back like it was suppose to but still a little oil coming from the joint... could it be the gasket?

Tks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts