Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995 DeVille 4.9 "Princess" 1995 DeVille 4.9 "Maxwell"
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gathered that covering sensitive electric parts and hosing down the engine of my '95 deVille is going to be difficult because all the components are piled on top of each other. So I've resorted to doing it by hand. Youtube claims I can cover some parts before hosing it down but I talked to a friend who races and he told me he does his by hand to be safe. Is there a particular cleaner I should use? A neighbor came up to me earlier and told me I can use any degreaser cleaner, "Mean Green" specifically mentioned. I wanted to make sure what I use is safe before I mess up a belt or something.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
If it's not greasy all you really need is water. A garden hose would work or an engine cleaning gun ($10 - $15) pictured below (if you have an air compressor). Otherwise a car wash. Cover the distributor and alternator or just stay away from them. Have a can of WD40 (Water Displacement) handy in case it doesn't want to start. Use it to spray down the distributor and wires. If it's greasy, there are tons of engine degreasers on the market. I used to use Gunk.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts