Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered vinyl wrap and would like to remove the upper front grill trim. I was not able to find any instructions on this. I believe there are clips based on pics I have seen of the back side of the grill along the top that need to be pushed down plus some more clips that pop out along the top and sides...I could be wrong and would appreciate any help, otherwise I will just wrap it on the car but would like to take it off if possible. Thanks for any info or pics or links anyone can provide.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6MT
637 Posts
hey man, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you have to pull the bumper. if I were you I would find the E&G Classics instructions for installing one of their grills.

If you don't wanna take the bumper off, pop the hood and do it on-car. honestly thats what I would do, cause I installed the E&G grill and that total job took me and a buddy almost 5hrs...then again I was just installing the grille. however in my experience with vinyl wrapping(window trim) you're looking at multiple hours anyway. take your time, don't get frustrated and it will be well worth it!! good luck

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on, I just saw pics of grille and trim come separate new in box on ebay so didn't know how to get that trim piece off on its own...

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T AWD
340 Posts
Bumper comes off, trim removed from the inside. Bumper should take about 30-45 min to get off with no hoist, just remove the bolts from the top first, then start at one wheel well and remove all the screws down and along the bumper and back up to the other wheel well. once thats done there is a wiring harness to unplug and it should pull right off. not very difficult

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS Luxury 2.0T AWD
7 Posts
Removing the bumper is not a problem but you have to be very careful. If you are doing a wrap, I'd suggest starting wrap with a handy plastic slim trim tool and a good amount of time.

If you remove the top cover under the hood, over the rad. I am sure that would be enough of a space to do your wrap.

If you would like to continue with removing the bumper to access the whole grille, Michael167 had written a great DIY which saved a lot of us from writing our own step-by-step. Please see the link. If you have run in to any concerns please let us know.

User: Michael167
Date: 08-08-14
Time: 12:47pm
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-picture-appearance-forum/564370-lower-grille-bumper-removal-how.html

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tried multiple attempts at vinyl wrap with black chrome finish and it has been a failure. The black chrome just shows too many imperfections when applying. It could be a cheap product (purchased off eBay) or lack of experience in application, but it simply did not work. I would recommend if wanting to do black chrome then just buy the Cadillac products for grille and rear bumper applique. It may go better if you choose other colors but chrome is simply just too unforgiving, in my opinion. It has to be perfect or the mirror finish is just not right. I got well molded fit but surface micro-abrasions were easily noticed and did not look acceptable. Maybe a professional can do better with better products but even if done well, I cant imagine it will hold up well to daily driving conditions (for chrome finish).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts