Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS4 3.6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really frustrated with mine and trying to determine if my car is unique or is it normal from other owners. Other than this issue, I love the car!

When decelerating from 40 mph is your drive train silent or can you hear whining noise similar to a jet engine?

My personal thought process tells me that no manufacturer including Cadillac would purposely design an AWD vehicle that would exhibit this noise and consider it normal. Perhaps I am wrong, do fellow ATS4 owners experience a profound whining noise upon deceleration or maintaining speed at 40 mph give or take under light load?

I've had two transfer cases replaced, after first it was silent as it should be for 1,800 miles. Second replacement no change in whining and dealer tells me it's considered normal. Considering first replacement solved the original issue I suspect something different this time around, but definitely regretting AWD vs RWD at this point.

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,433 Posts
My is acceptable for a 2.0 turbo rwd.... considering the I mod'd the air intake tube. So, I hear the turbo spool up. The run flat tires suck in more ways than just noise. Interior noise is acceptable. 7 speaker Bose. not impressed. My 2010 Dodge Challenger has better sound and it just a stock no frills radio and speakers. But, then I am 73 and well nuff said. lol

Remember, you ride around in a sculptured metal can with many moving parts.... compost happens.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD
77 Posts
I have 2013 ATS4 2.0T. I have plenty of rattles and squeaks inside the cabin, but I don't have a big noise problem from drivetrain. Have you ever had an ATS4 for a loaner, and if so do you hear the same noises? Reason I ask is sometimes the only way I've been able to get the SA to recognize a problem with my car is to demonstrate others on the lot that don't have the issue.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I have the Bose surround system that has some sort of sound generator. When I'm driving I can't hear a single noise coming from outside the car. I'm not sure that's always going to be a good thing, but it is nice to be able to hear yourself think.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,399 Posts
Agree with JP-ATS, take a ride in a similar car on their lot and see if it makes the same noise. I don't think we will be able to tell you if the noise you are hearing is normal.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have the 2015 ATS coupe 3.6 and The only sound I hear is a sweet sound of the engine when I drive hard otherwise no type of whines or engine noise that shouldn't be there. They did a real good job on this car

·
Registered
2014 2.0t AWD
276 Posts
The fact that it was silent for 1,800 miles after the 1st replacement tells me it's not something that he is going to determine if it's 'normal' if he drives another new ATS for comparison. Whatever is causing the noise may take time to happen. A better test would be to find a few on used car lots and drive those. I have a similar issue with mine and the sound is something I definitely would have noticed during 3 test drives of this car when new, so it takes time to happen. Unfortunately while researching this I actually found the service manual says some whining noise @ 40MPH is considered normal for the AWD. Why 40 and not 30 or 50? We shall see what the dealer has to say. The sad part is that the rest of the car is so quiet that this stands out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
'13 ATS4 2.0T, Gone but will be missed, '13 SRX4 Performance
473 Posts
My '13 ATS4 does not whine when decelerating. But, full disclosure, I suffer from severe hearing loss in one ear.

·
Registered
2014 ATS-4 2.0 (RIP), 2015 SRX4, 2008 STS4 V6
81 Posts
'14 2.0 - Its quiet but what I don't hear I feel at idle :(. Wish GM would come up with a solution to be as smooth as the '15.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
My 2013 ATS Premium is a very quiet car....especially since I got rid of those God awful run flats!! Rides like a dream on my new Pilot Spots.

·
Registered
2014 ATS4 Performance 3.6L, 2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel
120 Posts
My 2013 ATS Premium is a very quiet car....especially since I got rid of those God awful run flats!! Rides like a dream on my new Pilot Spots.
Same experience. My ATS is nice, smooth and quiet once I dumped the crap run flats.

·
Registered
2013 ATS4 3.6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for responses, I appreciate it. I haven't had time to make it back to the dealership to test drive another, but will do so soon. Been out of town for a few weeks, but also had to take a road trip in the car for 1,800 miles and noise is consistently there still. Can also hear it depending on road condition/noise at freeway speeds under light load.

I would be shocked and really disappointed if Cadillac designed it, built it and released the model with a whining noise such as this that they knew of unless they weren't serious about rebuilding the brand. Youtube videos with clear audio could have a negative impact on sales if titled correctly. I recorded my noise to share with the dealer on my cell phone and it is unmistakable even on my cell phone.

Clempot911 can you let me know in the owners manual where it states you can expect whining noise at 40 for an ATS4? If other manufacturers can figure out how to make AWD vehicles that don't whine upon deceleration most pronounced at 40 I can't figure out why Cadillac can't do the same thing. If it is truly intended to be that way the noise is bad enough I will look at another vehicle. Gears, bearings and differentials should ONLY whine if something is wrong, not by design. If it's in owners manual this makes me think I need to read the owners manual before purchasing any car.

·
Registered
2014 2.0t AWD
276 Posts
...Clempot911 can you let me know in the owners manual where it states you can expect whining noise at 40 for an ATS4? If other manufacturers can figure out how to make AWD vehicles that don't whine upon deceleration most pronounced at 40 I can't figure out why Cadillac can't do the same thing. If it is truly intended to be that way the noise is bad enough I will look at another vehicle. Gears, bearings and differentials should ONLY whine if something is wrong, not by design. If it's in owners manual this makes me think I need to read the owners manual before purchasing any car.
Here you go. It's not from the owners manual, it's in the factory service manual in the section that describes troubleshooting noises from the transfer case.

IMG_201_01.JPG

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,399 Posts
As said above, "Compare to another similar vehicle".

If a slight whine at a certain speed and only when decelerating, it would have to be pretty loud for me to bother with it much. I of course don't know how loud your car is.

·
Registered
ATS
49 Posts
3.6 - extremely quiet - even more so once I ditched the Bridgestone Potenza run flats for Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
My 14 3.6 is pretty quiet except for an irritating stochastic rattle coming from the headliner area. It appears that the headliner grind on to metal frame when the road is harsh enough and causes it. Irreproducible at dealer :(, so no fix for me

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 AWD
70 Posts
I agree with your comment about the radio. I have the 7 speaker setup too and find it the worst sounding radio in the last 3 cars I've owned. Prior to that, I don't remember well enough to comment, so let's just say this is the worst radio I can remember.
My is acceptable for a 2.0 turbo rwd.... considering the I mod'd the air intake tube. So, I hear the turbo spool up. The run flat tires suck in more ways than just noise. Interior noise is acceptable. 7 speaker Bose. not impressed. My 2010 Dodge Challenger has better sound and it just a stock no frills radio and speakers. But, then I am 73 and well nuff said. lol

Remember, you ride around in a sculptured metal can with many moving parts.... compost happens.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
115 Posts
My 2.0 Rear is super quiet and smooth. Almost too much so, although is does sound great when you put your foot into it.

·
Registered
2014 ATS4 2.0T. auto Mocha Steel Metallic
41 Posts
A lot quieter than my street rod with small block Chevy running through dual flowmasters !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts