Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought 25 yrs. is considered classic. That would mean 1985's...

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
Re: How old is clacsic?

It depends on who is definng "classic". Some groups go by production years. These people classify by the fact that after 1972 there were few destictive characteristics between the different models of one production line versus another by the manufacturers. Others classify differently, so the definition becomes somewhat blurred.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Production Year model Distinction? More before 72, Less after 72?
What about:
55-57 Chevy’s against counterpart, Pontiac and Oldsmoble. Few Distinctions.
67-68 Mustang’s against counterpart, Mercury Cougar. Few Distinctions.
Then you have cars like late 70’s, early 80’s G.M. E-bodies. Just as many Distinctions between the Eldorado’s, Rivera’s and Toranado’s.
And then you have VW beetles.
Once upon a time the only cars worthy of the distinction “CLASSIC” were Dusenburg’s, Packard’s, Auburns, and Cord’s.
“Hemmings Classic Car” magazine has listed the Chrysler K-car:bomb: as classic by age, (25-50 yrs), as do most classic car price guides. Antique is 50 yrs or older.
My 83 Eldorado is just as distinctive in its design as any of the early 70 Eldo’s.
I tell you what, the new Caddy’s are too.:D
Of course Classic doesn’t always mean collectible and visa versa.
Everytime I visit my local U-Pull yard and see E-body Eldorado's doomed to the crusher, I smile knowing that some day the 83 I preserved and stashed away…..Tell me I crazy, but so was the guy who stashed away Edsel's and studebakers.;)

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,692 Posts

In Florida, I believe it's anything over 25 years old.

My wagon should come up to that during my ownership (actually, I don't really plan on ever selling it :))

·
Registered
(2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme
690 Posts

In PA you need to be only 15 to get a classic plate. I was thinking about one for my '95 deville just to get around emissions. I have an antique plate on one of my '81's, that's only 25 years. Seems a little early to be considered those, but if I don't have to pay for registration or emissions anymore I'm all for it. Honestly I think the term "classic" is a matter of personal opinion. I don't see my cars as classics yet, classy but not classic.

·
Registered
NONE
188 Posts

There are three definitions of "classic":

1) Small "c" classic: any car, usually over 25 years old, defined as such by your state Motor Vechicle department.

2) Capital "C" Classic: any pre-war car design (including the 46-48 Continetal which was a continuation of a pre-war design) designated as a Classic by the Antique Automobile Club of America.

3) Slang usage: 5-6-7 Chevrolets, 65-68 Mustangs, 56-57 Mark II, etc. or any other car we happen to like :thumbsup:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The bottom line is always value. There must be a way to measure a perceived collector car's potential value based on it becoming a future "classic" or “antique”. Therefore age must be a universal factor in determining the designation of classic.

·
Registered
1968 Coupe Deville
8 Posts
I'd say it is somewhat classified by what a certain generation of automobiles had to offer. Let's face it, the late seventies/early eighties, didn't offer much in the way of desirable cars. Dusenburg’s, Packard’s, Auburns, and Cord’s were, in their day, considered luxuries for only the affluent members of society. So, they automatically became collectible. Later, in the 50's when street racing started to catch on, those who couldn't afford a new car to hotrod, would buy an older 20's-30's or 40's car. So those became collectible & "classics" when people started getting nostalgic over their younger years. Then the big 3 jumped in & started to build muscle cars. Of course those were classics the minute the EPA started making cars suck (the 70's/80's). That's just my opinion. As for the Beetle. That is a whole different cult. While beetle look alike to those who do not follow the cars, they do differ from generation to generation. Split-window, ovals, etc... are all desirable for different reasons. So, to answer your question, I think almost any car becomes a "classic" after enough time passes & you don't see those cars on the road anymore. The cooler the car was, the faster it attains "classic" status.

·
Registered
1968 Convertible
268 Posts
Anything before 1970 IMHO.

The 70s were the end of classic American autos.

The quality of materials, styles, reliability all changed forever then.

Just look at the Caddys that came out in the early 73.

Flat front rectangles that signaled the beginning of the end for classic Cadillac styling.

The 70s were the beginning of the disposable society where nothing lasts.

·
Registered
81 Brougham coupe, 85 Brougham D'elegance, etc
8 Posts
The last true classic is a 48 Continental. Generally classic is used towards anything 25+ years old. Collectibility plays a part too, but I'd say anything still around from pre 75 is more than just transportation to the owner.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,627 Posts
I think "classic", much like beauty, is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. The many different definitions listed seem to prove that. "Antique", on the other hand (at least in Ill.) is defined as 25 years old or better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts