Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on the Cateras, and it appears as if the Timing Belt is a usual maintenance item.
Having said that, what are the symptoms that you need the belt changed?
Furthermore, how many clicks does the orginal Timing belt last?
I have a 2000 Catera.

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
The concenus I have seen on the Opel forums is that it is 4 years or 40,000 miles which ever comes first.

I had some concerns with my 97' after I got it. According to the print out I got at the dealership it was done once at 38,xxx miles and the again at 79,xxx miles. I am not certain whether the first one had to do with the recall or not.

I guess I am not really sure if the later ones need to be held to this or not.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.
i guess it is due in my car, considering it's got 120,000km.
unless of course, the previous owner was generous enough to have done it, which i highly doubt, considering i bought mine with only 50,000km.
is it an easy job?

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
question for you guys, when changing the timing belt, should i be just changing the timing belt, or the tensioner pulleys as well? (the kit that's available at rockauto.)

·
Registered
1999 Catera
57 Posts
You can also see if a Saab dealer/independent shop or a Saturn dealer/independent shop will do it. The Saturn L200(?) and one run of Saabs has the same engine, but you will likely have to convince the shop of that and to work on your car. The timing belt at the stealerships here in San Jose, CA are ~$1k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts