Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did some searching and all i could dig up was the regular cts guys talking about this. do you guys go by the "engine oil life" meter or just change it based off of milage. i know it never hurts to have fresh oil but i change mine every 3k. am i just throwing money out the window? does the meter just go off of milage?

derek

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
3k - 4k even though I use Mobil 1 even though I think they say 6k. I'd rather spend a little more on oil and know my engine is nice, clean and happy

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum
1,182 Posts
same as lollygagger

every 3-4k even with Mobil1, even though is should last much longer...better safe than sorry

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea thats what i have been doing. ive been running this motul stuff and it really smooths out the motor. kinda expensive but i think its worth it

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,717 Posts
Oil life down to 0% which is about 7K miles. I get 9K out of my C5 and hope the same with 3.42 diff in the V. :)

Norm

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Every 5 thou. Motul? Splain please.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Every 5 thou. Motul? Splain please.
I would guess he's talking about this

EDIT: Hey it's got a "V" on it right? so it's gotta be good! :)

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would guess he's talking about this

EDIT: Hey it's got a "V" on it right? so it's gotta be good! :)
yup thats the stuff! i am a motul dealer so i get a good deal on that stuff. best part is it smells like bananas. i found that stuff when i had my STI. they have a really bad idle vibration and i was talking with my motul rep who has one and he told me to try that stuff and i was amazed. never looked back and i figured the LS6 wouldn't mind it

i think it retails for right around $30 per 2 qts

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
I change my RP every 3-4k as well. I run RP XRP in the new eninge, about $15 a qt.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet
835 Posts
For the street Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles. Any more often is overkill and a waste of money and oil. Plus, it's easy to remember multiples of 5000 for the next change.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
I don't understand why no one uses the oil life meter in the car like I do. The meter factors in all kinds of variables (IE: how many miles you drive the car, how hard you drive the car, engine temperatures, etc.) and logarithmically calculates oil life. I mean it's there for a reason. Don't get me wrong I change it more often than not, like before going to the track and never let it get below 10%, but I think it's a good guide :hmm:

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,006 Posts
I've put 4,300 miles on my car since early May '08 (one year). I've changed the oil twice during that time. So, the oil changes are in terms of "months," not mileage. :D

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet
835 Posts
Lately, my OLM has hit ~25% at around the 5,000 mile mark. I feel more comfortable doing a 5,000 mile rotation than following an algorithm. But if the OLM read 1% before my 5,000 interval than I would probably change the oil immediately. ..but that's me.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
I don't understand why no one uses the oil life meter in the car like I do.
You're not alone.
I use Mobil 1. Modern lubricants are so much better than decades ago when the recommendation was developed to change your oil every 3K. Most auto mfgs even set the figure higher these days. It's just the oil companies that would like to see you change it every 3K. Wonder why??

I'm at 17% right now, which is about 6K, so I'll change it in the next week or two.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
I change mine about every 4K...unless I'm doing a long drive and it will go over that...

I use Amsoil

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I've put 4,300 miles on my car since early May '08 (one year). I've changed the oil twice during that time. So, the oil changes are in terms of "months," not mileage. :D
That's it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Holy crap. I guess it's bitter sweet to use as a dd.

·
Registered
2005 CTS V (long gone), 2016 CT6
315 Posts
It depends, if I know I'm going to a track day I'll swap it out before I go. Coming off of winter like I am now it's down to 13% and my snow tires are still on...got some time off coming tho so that'll all change.

·
Registered
LS6 CTS-V
550 Posts
there are other factors that can break down oil - a trailer queen that see's shows and maybe 10mi/yr still needs regular oil changes

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
I'm a fan of the OLM. My commute is very short and my OLM counts down pretty fast to about 20-25% after about 3k miles. Based on my used oil analysis reports, this is a little conservative and my oil, both AMSOIL and Mobil 1 had TBN remaining and could have gone farther. Based on watching how the OLM counts down, I suspect that if I soley did highway driving, the OLM would count down over about 10k miles or so. Based on this, I don't think any one number is the right way to go for everyone.

Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis – Mobil 1 5w30 vs AMSOIL 0w30

1 - 20 of 54 Posts