Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to have a mechanic check out my car and told me the A/C compressor is leaking and need to be rebuilt. About a week ago all the refrigerant leaked out of the system. He told me it would be $225 for tearing the the compressor putting new gaskets and then recharging the system, all with 3 months guarentee. Am I getting ripped or is it a good deal ? Just want to make sure I am not getting bent over backwards.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Wicho said:
I decided to have a mechanic check out my car and told me the A/C compressor is leaking and need to be rebuilt. About a week ago all the refrigerant leaked out of the system. He told me it would be $225 for tearing the the compressor putting new gaskets and then recharging the system, all with 3 months guarentee. Am I getting ripped or is it a good deal ? Just want to make sure I am not getting bent over backwards.
That's really not a bad price for the job, but the accumulator/dryer should be replaced when working on or replacing the compressor, and that goes for probably another $25. A rebuilt AC-Delco compressor can be had for about $325. For $350 plus labor, you'll have a known good compressor with a new accumulator to make it last.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Yep, that's a good deal. I just paid $925 for installation of a new GM compressor plus conversion to R134 on my '87 SDV.

Also, Cadillac A/c systems don't like running without refrigerant for too long. Eventually your compressor will seize (took mine about 20k miles).

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Compare the price to that of a replacement compressor.
I have tried many times to reseal them when they are leaking but have found over the years that it's a temporary repair.
Even if it's a little bit more, I'd recommend the investment of at least a good remanufactured one if not a new one.
As far as what he wants to charge you, that's not too bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts