Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealership getting an oil changed and have 45000 on the car. They said I should change the front and back brakes. Thy want 700+ for the job. Is that reasonable?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Sounds like dealer has some former Midas and Meineke employees there. That is a retail price for discs, rotors, pads, and maybe calipers.

You can likely do the job or have it done by replacing brake pads.

Some repair shops like to turn the rotors. Not necessary if brake pedal is not pulsating during stop.

Have someone look over your should while you do ONE side of the front. Check to see if you have all of the tools you need. About 5 or 6 needed. Get a large 6" c clamp, olds newspapers, and splash pan for extra fluids.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
You can get slotted & drilled rotors & a full set of ceramic pads for much less than that. Do the work yourself or have a shop do it; better stopping power & less cost...what more could ya ask for?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You could buy top of line brake pads for $100 (give or take $30) for front pads and same for rear pads. You can easily change out front pads in 2 hrs--less than 1 hr for experienced mechanic. Two hours will give you a chance to get extra beer and pizza.

Do the rear brakes on the following week end.

Again, have an experienced person looking over your shoulder. Forget the pizza. Grill him a big steak.

Once you learn brakes, then window regulators. Save $1,000s over 5 or 10 years. Not much else you can do on today's cars unless you are really into electronics and special tools.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The term "brake job" is pretty vague.
It would be an obvious ripoff if it is a pad slap but if they are going to machine the rotors or install new ones then it might be a fair price.
Not everyone wants to "do it yourself" and for that you pay what you have to in order to get the job done right.

If you tell us what they are recommending and break down the prices I think you'll get a more accurate response.

·
Registered
2017 CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would imagine with only 45k and the brakes aren't even at the sensors yet that it would only be pads. Is there anyone close to north jersey on here that can help. I will pay for your expertise since I really would like to learn how to do this.

·
Registered
CTS
95 Posts
I did the fronts on my CTS, rotors and pads, (bought the most expensive pads Autozone had) for $180.00. Did all the work myself. My rotors had such a deep groove around the outside that it was a pain in the a$$ to get the pads off and it still only took me 2 hours. Be careful with the rears! I am not sure about the CTS but most cars with rear disks have a ratcheting system for the parking break and you litterally have to screw in the break actuator (special tool or you have to make one) to install the new pads. I learned this the hard way on a 2000 Infiniti!

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
Just got a quote from a mechanic for my rear brakes (pads, rotors, caliper service) for approx $400 CAD... this guy did my fronts already. Very pleased.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts