Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I got: 1989 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance 5.0 V8 4BBL Engine (307 CID) with 19,800 actual miles. Genuine GM Service Information Manual says to put in 5 & 1/2 quarts 5W-30 oil with new filter during oil change. Did this twice since I purchased the car last year. I let the car run a bit to warm the engine then drop the oil plug & filter & remove oil filler cap. Let drain for 1/2 hour or so, while I clean up the oil that dripped on my glasses and ran down my to arm pits. Put some fresh oil in the new filter before installing and the rest down the filler tube, for a total of 5 1/2 quarts. Due to the clarity of the new oil and length of the dip stick along with the awkward curves of the dip stick tube I am unable to get a good oil level reading on the stick until after about a week of driving or until the oil begins to turn brownish in color. ANYWAY when all said and done, the dip stick consistently shows about half inch above full mark when checked first thing in the morning before running the engine. Is this OKAY or am I putting in too much oil? Also, will this damage the engine?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,736 Posts
Here's what I do:
- prefill oil filter, install
- pour in the rest of the five litres
- start engine
- turn off engine, let oil drain back
- check level, top up as needed

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood & 1993 Chevy C-1500
18 Posts
Here's what I do:
- prefill oil filter, install
- pour in the rest of the five litres
- start engine
- turn off engine, let oil drain back
- check level, top up as needed

Litres or quarts? Quart =.946 litre which puts 5 litres at a bit too much oil. 5 quarts is what I use in any GM vehicle w/SB. That goes for the 4.3 V6 as well. Did the same for my 71 Olds Delta 88 w/455.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
5 quarts is what I usually did in my 87 and it was full up.

For the fresh clear oil try this:

Wipe your dipstick dry with a paper towel or clean rag.
put dipstick back in all the way then pull it back up.
lay the dipstick on the paper towel in the palm of your hand. only place the back side of the dipstick on the paper towel so as not to wipe off the oil on the other side.
Hold the dipstick (still on the paper towel) up to the light, you may have to move it around a bit to catch the light.

The gist is you should be able to spot the oil on the dipstick from the way the light hits it.

Hope that helps.

PS: too much oil can damage the engine but I don't know that just half a quart too much would hurt it. I'd start with 5, check it, and if it needs more add another half quart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts