Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am doing like I do every day, and that's spending an hour or more on this site, particularly the RWD forum, just poking around, reading, and thinking. And I am just wondering how many hours of the day are you "Cadillac-ing"? I find myself spending hours sometimes, just reading posts, fawning over pictures, or even just Googling 1992 Cadillac...1991 Cadillac...1990 Cadillac...till kingdom come!

Does anyone else out there do this? Or do I spend too much time online and not enough time loving my Cadillac (i.e. looking for one)? I know there are regulars like Ben, Chad, Elias, and Jonas (where's he?) who seem to always be here, and then there's the occasional poster/responder to whom we give the "More pics, more pics" speech, but how much of your life is it really? Because I have actually found myself spending a little too much time online, hours at a time, without even knowing it. All I do is look at Cadillacs, read about them, research them, go eBay-ing/Craigslist-ing for them. And it is actually quite time-consuming. It's like I'm addicted or something.

One time I spent the better half of a Saturday, just on the computer, not really accomplishing anything...just "Cadillac-ing." Then after countless pages I actually got a little sick of the Cadillac design, but one quick search for a Civic quickly cured my ailment. At that time I realized that was a bit much and turned off the computer for a breath of fresh air. Do you ever get a short case of anti-Cadillac syndrome? That hasn't happened for a while but it shows my point. Does anyone else ever unconsciously get this carried away......OBSESSED......with Cadillacs?!!

Thoughts?

Greg

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Yes.

I'm the same way, I spend at least an hour on here most days, and I spend hours googling 1979 Cadillac... phaeton... red coupe deville... etc, go looking for pictures, check the MSN group for 1977-1979 owners, all sorts of stuff. It gets to be a bit much sometimes, occasionally I'll spend about five hours at night without even knowing it. Just looking at Cadillac stuff. I never knew how much I was on here until I was banned for a week.

So, I know exactly what you mean. I'm also addicted to Cadillac. And I think god every day that it wasn't starwars.

·
Registered
1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
183 Posts
Probably 10-15 minutes...I come on to take a look at people's pictures when they post new ones, follow the sagas of repairs I know I could never complete myself (but watch amazed as many of you take apart and put back together cars in your own houses), and use the knowledge here as a mechanic-BS detector. I have sometimes spent an hour on the forum but usually it's just a few minutes while I scroll through points of interest.

As for anti-Cadillac, the closest I get to that is occasionally pondering getting a Lincoln (of the same vintage or older) as a companion car.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Oh, I was just having some fun and ROLEX didn't like it. Nothing big, I guess it's hard to tell one's true sentiments through the filter of a keyboard.

·
Registered
None yet
431 Posts
i agree there are days when im just fishing for cadillac anything here, ebay ,craigslist, cardomain for pics googling certain years to see whats for sale what looks good ..whatever nice to know theres more of us than ithought...soon ill have my 95 deville and will have to switch to the fwd forums ..........haa yea right ill still post in this one who my kidding...

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Depends on the threads and my mood. And if my cable is paid up. Usually an hour or so a day. As much as 4 if im in the mood. Lately ive been being lazy, and i hate playing catch up on here.

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
Guess I am not the only one with this syndrome! During summer months I rarely come on here because of work, but during the winter I spend alot of time cadillac-ing, between classes and such. I am always looking for another thing to improve upon on my own Cadillacs. As for the anti-Cadillac syndrome... I will never dislike a Cadillac however I would not mind maybe adding an old New Yorker or Continental to my fleet. While they never surpassed Cadillacs I like some aspects of their engineering, build and style. However the biggest reason for expanding my automotive horizons would be that each make creates a unique visual impact for everyone else on the road... each has a different stature to it I guess.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
4-5 hours a day. I keep it up while I'm at work so I've got something to do when I'm bored, otherwise I'm on a lot at night when all the fun begins.

·
Registered
68 Deville Convertible
39 Posts
I'm a new member and really enjoy this forum. Interesting how many of us love our old Cadillacs! I have a 1968 deVille Convertible that runs great and has almost 300 thousand miles on it, with never a ring job. Top up or top down, you always get positive comments from other drivers and passers-by when you are in an old Caddy.

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood Brogham RWD
74 Posts
I spend hours on this site, or treasure hunting on e-bay for stuff I can nab for my 85FWB. I even Hacked the my computer @ work so I could log on at work when Im Bored

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't mean that I had ever disliked Cadillac, but after looking at roughly 150 Cadillacs of the exact same body style, I started seeing spots. I was seeing too much of the exact same lines to appreciate it and what I had, since I was comparing Caddy to Caddy. So I simply Googled "Civic" to get me back 'in the mood.' It's kinda like banging your head on the wall over and over so that when you stop, it feels good. :banghead: ...lol

Greg

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
This forum is really a nice and very happy to be member of it . As for Cadillac , it's the only brand I could turn down a trade for RR (even including Lambo LP 640 ) .

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I'm the same way. Lots of time spent on this site. I look, read, think then sometimes I eBay for Cadillac parts, accessories, clothing or whatever.

Does that make us Car Crazy?

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
I used to spend far more time on here, but a new job keeps me out during the day and I don't spend the time I use to in the evenings. I don't know, I guess the forum just doesn't hold the same appeal it did for me a year or two ago. It's definitely a different forum than the one I joined. I spend most of my time on here in the RWD forum. It's really the only place that hasn't changed.

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
At the present time, I'm recovering from orthoscopic surgery, so I'm spending more time than I normally do.
I hit this forum for about an hour or so in the PM. When I'm working, I might come here 2-3 times a week or less.
The rest of the time, I'm surfing for Cadillacs. I love the 1977 - 79 deVilles, Fleetwoods. I never seem to tire looking at all the combinations. There is a 1979 d'Elegance on ebay with an interior I've never seen before. I have 3 1977 Coupe deVilles, and 1 1977 Fleetwood Brogham. I had two other 1977 Cadillacs, but the city towed them off my property. I didn't have storage space for them, so I had to let them go. I have a couple 1978 Cadillacs and several 1979s.
That sort of proves how badly I'm addicted.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had two other 1977 Cadillacs, but the city towed them off my property. I didn't have storage space for them, so I had to let them go. I have a couple 1978 Cadillacs and several 1979s.
That sort of proves how badly I'm addicted.
What?! You mean the city just took them from you? What happened to them?

I don't know, I guess the forum just doesn't hold the same appeal it did for me a year or two ago. It's definitely a different forum than the one I joined.
Asking someone who's been here longer, how has it changed? Do you mean just different people or did the atmosphere turn foul? I hate to think we're going down the tubes.

Greg

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Now here's a good question....how many of us own Cadillac apparel?

I have a Cadillac sweatshirt (wearing right now) a Cadillac T-shirt and two Cadillac baseball caps.

But on the other side of the coin, I have probably 15 baseball caps all but four are automotive brands.
And two of them are Mercedes Benz, and I've got an M-B t-shirt and I'm planning on buying an M-B sweat shirt :hide:

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville, 1995 FWB & 6 Other Non-Cadillacs.
759 Posts
Usually 2 or more hours a day...Almost spent entirely in the RWD section. I get home from work around 12 am so i'm usually flipping back and forth between here, craigslist, ebay and a couple other car and body building forums. Not sure when my life got so boring but this site has defineatly made me more content to sit home at night.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Now here's a good question....how many of us own Cadillac apparel?

I have a Cadillac sweatshirt (wearing right now) a Cadillac T-shirt and two Cadillac baseball caps.

But on the other side of the coin, I have probably 15 baseball caps all but four are automotive brands.
And two of them are Mercedes Benz, and I've got an M-B t-shirt and I'm planning on buying an M-B sweat shirt :hide:
I have a Cadillac Hat (old style emblem), and a Cadillac wallet which everyone always asks me about if they've never seen me pull in to work. Everytime I start a new job it takes half the time to meet everyone that it used to before I had the Cadillac. Everyone learns my name quickly because I'm the guy with the Cadillac... or to those less car saavy, the guy with the big, shiny old car. The gas station is always yielding new comments and compliments as well. "Now that's a car!" "That's not a boat, that's a ship!" "That's a great car!" Yet I'm always surprised at how few people can tell it's a Cadillac. Usually the first guess is Oldsmobile...

Anyways, replying to the OP. Yes much of the time I have Cadillac disease as well. I live and breathe Cadillac sometimes. My family and friends get sick of it I'm sure, so I try to tone it down when I'm talking to them about cars. I don't hesitate with my dad though. He's always been somewhat fond of cars (not a car nut mind you), I remember when I was about 6 years old asking him what his favourite car was while we were at a car show, to which he replied "a 1966 Ford Mustang". Now when I ask him what his favourite car is, it is a "1976 Cadillac Fleetwood".:D

I spend too much time finding information about Cadillacs, but it is my main hobby so it keeps me out of trouble. Sometimes I spend a few hours on here at night, usually an average of 1-2 hours I would say. Sometimes if we are really dead at work it could be up to 4 hours a day. :cloud9:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts