Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that I'm able to (with some effort) hit the reverse gear while moving forward. AFAIK that's not supposed to happen with a "lockout" but does it really just mean that it's hard to put it in reverse while moving? Or is my lockout not working? Can you guys even get it into the reverse gate while moving forward?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I think you can still abuse the synchronizers, but the blocker won't let you fully engage the gear.
I'd advise against any sort of real experimentation.
The solenoid blocks the shift rod so it cannot fully move into the gear position but the synchro sleeve will still move slightly.

Reverse Lockout
A reverse lockout system, consisting of a reverse lockout solenoid which operates a reverse lockout mechanism, is utilized to prevent shifting into REVERSE gear when the vehicle is moving forward at a speed of 5 km/h (3 mph) or more.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
ITs hard enough to put in gear while sitting still.

·
Registered
CTS-V
342 Posts
When I first got my V, I accidentally grinded a bit of reverse trying to get the car into 6th. So there isn't much of a lock out at all.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
288 Posts
I have hit that a couple times trying to find 5th while slowing down!
One time a buddy was behind, and said he saw my reverse lights flicker on:eek:!

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
When mine went out I took it in for the solenoid to be replaced.

This dumbass wants to take it for a test drive and have me "show him".

I say no problem, and your gonna replace the trans and everything else that breaks under warranty also ?

The service manager was walking up, grabs me and says "No problem" we will replace the solenoid as it is a common failure.

The dumbass vanished.....

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
it was only a problem for me the first day I had the car. after the 500 mile drive home, I knew where 5th was just by feel. Even if the solenoid were to fail, I dont think it would be a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts