Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can we stroke a LS6 and still use a magnacharger? Any idea how how much the cost is? any power gains?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
I thought i was going to stroke mine but once i realized the real cost, i think it was too high. I was thinking it'd be around $6k but then i hear you still have to add the cost of new heads, cam, and many other parts...Too pricey. You've already got new heads though, i would think 403 would be fine. Wonder what kind of boost would be safe though. 6-8psi still ok?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
403 would be awesome don't you think! I wonder how much to do it?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
I've always wondered how that works... Do you have to get a new ECM? Does it match up to the cars motor mounts? Transmission? Seems like a great idea....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is everything the same up top so the blower will still fit?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Good question.. I would think it is since stroking just changes the crank and bores the cylinder walls...Although that one on ebay was for an LS2 based engine, not sure how a maggie matches up to that...

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Is everything the same up top so the blower will still fit?
That particular engine has the L92 cylinder heads, which are not cathedral in shape, like LS1/6 heads. While it might 'fit', the ports will be off at best. I guess you could call magnuson, but I don't think that's going to work too well.

I'd also watch out for the iron block 40x's, if you want to still use your maggie. I know that example was aluminum LS2, but you still see a lot of iron block packages out there. That's about 200 extra pounds on the nose of the car, and will make a fairly significant balance change.

-Chris

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
Good points by all, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1) Magnuson may answer your questions, but you will have no recourse if they make a mistake, get with you tech and let them ask the engine builder
2) I put a Maggie on my LS6, then purchased a Stoker, as I thought I would get more boost but did not, Maggie 'may' get you 7-8psi but no much more, so if you are building motor and plan on keeping your Maggie, stay with 10.5:1 or 11.0:1 compression and run with a Meth Kit and a good tune and you should be well insulated against detonation
3) If you want more boost, sell the Maggie, go 9.5:1 compression and get a ProCharger, I believe the ProCharger can go as high as 14psi, which will take you over 600RWHP, you will be able to do 3rd gear rolling burnouts
4) If you want to go all motor/NA, you can go as high as 13.0:1 compression, no memory with anyone running such with a Daily Driver, but Katech and others can provide information on this set-up, this will be expensive but you can offset some cost by selling your current SC

Let us know what you do, and by the way, you will probably spend at least $3K more than budgeted once you upgrade the Fuel System, Water Pump, Coil Packs, Clutch/Flywheel, etc...

It ain't cheap, but it sure is fun:thumbsup:!!!

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I think onebadcad's advice is right on the money.

I still submit that if you wanted to go ape-sh*t upgrading your car, and are willing to spend the dough, why not go with the LS-7? With a tune & headers alone you can get into the 500s, to say nothing about camming the damn thing.

Then again, unless someone wants to hear the blower scream, that's all good to, but I believe that a NA motor is just easier and, quite often, more reliable.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
Why not both?

If your going to go for the gusto, park a blower on a LS7 or some built up LS6.

If built (forged everything) then go with the 122 blower.:eek:

My problem right now is that I want it all and I don't even drive much anymore.:thepan:

I am setting my sights on an 09, but I hate buying the first year of any car.:tisk:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If you want to go all motor/NA, you can go as high as 13.0:1 compression, no memory with anyone running such with a Daily Driver, but Katech and others can provide information on this set-up, this will be expensive but you can offset some cost by selling your current SC
...and you'll need full race gas on that compression or you'll be in detonation land...trust me, I know.

OBC speaks the truth...

Threw a belt today:mad:...tooo much torque and rpms...ordered a Katech tensioner today and it's a puuuurty red....

They said it has been common in Ls6's as well as the Katech 427's on stock tensioners :)confused:) but they fixed it on the race cars vettes/ and V's with this tensioner.

Chef

1 - 13 of 13 Posts