Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tempted a couple of times, recently, but haven't bitten the bullet, yet.

If you do have one, have you found it to be worth it?

I'm a gearhead since about age 4, and an IT guy for going on 20 years, so the pull is strong.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,008 Posts
I have an adapter and a program called AutoEnginuity. It will read all trouble codes and it will do a little programming.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
I have a clone.
It does come in handy. I wanted to kill DRL and add Afterblow to HVAC (fix AC odor) and keep fogs on during high beams. Dealers weren't willing to do any of this so it was worth it to me.
I've also used it on the various GM cars in the family to pull codes and change settings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have one got it really cheap $700 its an original unit, I had an issue with it turned out to be software now works perfectly again.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
I've got one. I bought it new many years ago. It was an absolute necessity for some of the projects and maintenance I've done on my Bonneville. It's also been very helpful for the work I've done on my STS. So far I could have lived without it if all I had was the STS but I anticipate that it will get used a lot more though as time goes on.

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
I too use an AutoEnginuity, if you're a GM only guy then maybe the Tech II is all you'll ever need but, with the AE, you not only get most of the Tech II functions but the Ford & Chrysler dealership equivalents. All for around $700 (you add an old laptop to run it with). GM only for around 1/2 of that...

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
Will the AE unit allow you to reset VIN on any of the modules? I know the Tech II will do it, but I think that is the only way. This alone would justify the cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just picked one up myself. Getting familiar with it the more im using it. Great tool for the DIY. Theres alot more it will do than I've found so far im sure. I've been chasing some electrical gremlins and finally had enough and bought one. Sent me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
I have one and a Tech1A and an MDI. And Autoenginuity. I own a shop specializing in Cadillac and Corvette if you are wondering why. The AE seems to have all the data and module access of the Tech2 it is missing some of the useful Tech2 features like class2 message monitor and its data graphing is painfully slow compared to a Tech2. But all in all a decent DIY tool and functional enough that keep it around as the Tech2's emergency back up and prefer to grab it first over the MDI on global A vehicles. They are going for good prices used now. I think if you are dead set on doing as much as you can to your own car. You have to get one.

·
Registered
05 STS V8 Black Raven 1SF
12 Posts
Just bought one Tuesday. I've been using ScanXL Professional for about the last 10 years or so.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
I have one and a Tech1A and an MDI. And Autoenginuity. I own a shop specializing in Cadillac and Corvette if you are wondering why. The AE seems to have all the data and module access of the Tech2 it is missing some of the useful Tech2 features like class2 message monitor and its data graphing is painfully slow compared to a Tech2. But all in all a decent DIY tool and functional enough that keep it around as the Tech2's emergency back up and prefer to grab it first over the MDI on global A vehicles. They are going for good prices used now. I think if you are dead set on doing as much as you can to your own car. You have to get one.
Can the AutoEnginuity do things like reprogram the modules form Canadian to US spec to change things like DRL and Fob programming? From what I have been told this will take reprogramming the IPM/RIM modules.

Or will it let you clear and program FOBS 1&2 yourself on a Canadian car?

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Can the AutoEnginuity do things like reprogram the modules form Canadian to US spec to change things like DRL and Fob programming? From what I have been told this will take reprogramming the IPM/RIM modules.

Or will it let you clear and program FOBS 1&2 yourself on a Canadian car?
Export security is much different than US Spec cars. I have been bitten by snowbird cars before here. I know there are options in the tech 2 to set certain modules to different market specs. But other modules carry entirely different part numbers for export models. I wouldn't have high hopes for an export IPM set to US spec properly interacting with an export RCDLR for example. The AE is just a back up for me. I grab the Tech II first and because it can do all the things that were meant to be done I almost never have to grab the AE on a GM vehicle. Usually I grab the AE for a non GM car for a friend or family member. But I have just for fun ran AE side by side with the Tech II looking for gaps and haven't found any in the data stream or module accessibility. But I have also not tested it on every GM car. Next week if I remember I'll fire up AE and punch in an STS and see what comes up. I know what is available on the Tech II so I should be able to tell what might be missing.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Reprogramming of the IPM/RIM was recommended by another member here as a way to make it so that I can at least program FOBS myself at home using the normal US method and would cost about the same as having the FOBS programmed by the shop anyway.

I have considered one of the cheap Tech2 on ebay, but seems like a crapshoot 50/50chance of getting one that will work or not.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Reprogramming of the IPM/RIM was recommended by another member here as a way to make it so that I can at least program FOBS myself at home using the normal US method and would cost about the same as having the FOBS programmed by the shop anyway.

I have considered one of the cheap Tech2 on ebay, but seems like a crapshoot 50/50chance of getting one that will work or not.
If you get a cheap Tech2 get an authentic used one from an American Seller. They aren't much more than the china clones, sometimes they are the same price and you can be pretty sure your getting a good product and will have eBay and PayPal to back you up. Because of my specialty I am tasked with fixing a lot of cars that others have given up on due to parts availability, obsolete specialty tools. So I buy a lot of used parts, used tools, oddball electronics components off eBay and I haven't been burned yet out of hundreds of transactions.

I can't say if reprogramming the RIM and IPM will work or not. It might, but my inclination is that it won't. The Fobs and the RCDLR are different part numbers and calibrations for Canada and other export spec vehicles. I have to believe there is a good reason for that. GM doesn't waste money on separate part numbers if they can avoid it with software.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ludacrisvp, how did you manage to nuke the DRLs and keep fogs on during high beams? I found afterblow, but otherwise, I found what I could change to be somewhat lacking.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
For IPM settings you change to Germany as country to kill DRL and then turn on the option for "fogs not US/can"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts