Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRX 2010 CTS Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I drive a 2010 cts awd 3.6 station wagon with 50k miles. I love the car. But I've perceived the suspension seems a bit squishy lately. There is no obvious leakage. It doesn't make sounds or vibrations. The ride just seems wallowy.

Has anyone else experienced this after 50k miles/10 years? Did you replace the springs/shocks? Did it help? Which shocks did you put in? What are considered the best shocks for the 2010 cts 3.6 awd to give a sporty performance--OEM or after market?

Thanks for any insight.

Peter

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
OE parts and call it a wrap.

Sounds like your shocks/struts are worn out. The purpose of the struts and shocks are to dampen the feel of rough spots in the road, keep your tires planted on the ground and to keep the car from rocking uncontrollably. They can fail prematurely, or just wear out relatively early depending on your reference point, from routine use. I believe it is reasonable to accept that the heavier a vehicle is, the harder it will be on suspension parts.

As for springs, some assume they wear out fairly early like the struts and in comes the quick strut and spring assembly, but it appears to be a marketing scheme, considering selling a customer a strut and spring assembly for a little less than what it costs to attach new struts/shocks to the original springs generates more profit from the additional part and less labor for likely the same labor install price although less work is involved.

Springs are bad when they can not maintain the proper ride height, which practically no one measures before replacing them. Sears automotive learned this the hard way back in the 90s following a lawsuit which cost them millions, from selling customers front end parts they did not need, one of which was and possibly the ignition source for the fiasco, coil springs. The profit to cost margin was so high, there was an apparent mad push to sell them.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,231 Posts
Not a lot of choices in this area for our cars. Joseph said it short and sweet when he said, "OE parts and call it a wrap."

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (99k miles)
1,264 Posts
Front shocks were replaced by warranty at 40k miles because it was making a creaking noise.
Original rear shocks are still on at 97500 miles.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,790 Posts
My car has fe3 suspension so it rides hard. when I bought it at 50,000 miles it rode hard and now it 95000 miles it still rides hard. fun to drive at high speeds, it handles very well.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,235 Posts
also think about what tires you have on your car...and how long they may have been there...if you are still driving on the original tires it might be time to look for replacements

Bill

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,790 Posts
also think about what tires you have on your car...and how long they may have been there...if you are still driving on the original tires it might be time to look for replacements

Bill
Tires. They are 2.5 years old. Less
than 36000 miles.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,846 Posts
I think Bill was directing his post to the OP.
We know you take care of your car, Flash.

·
Registered
2005 SRX 2010 CTS Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Bill
I’ve changed the tires at about 25k miles. The treads look okay. Thanks.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,231 Posts
I'm approaching a time on my V Wagon when those tires will have to be shredded and burned, I mean, replaced!

·
Registered
2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L FE5
212 Posts
I did all 4 corners at 75k however they were not going soft. Instead they had become harsh and did not control well over normal every day bumps. It wasn't terrible but I did find it irritating enough to change them. I used OEM and after the change it definetely smoothed out.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
763 Posts
I did all four corners. OEM in rears about a year or so ago - mostly because that was an easy job. False start with the fronts a few months ago when I tried Monroe (mistake) but learned my lesson and put OEM delcos in. Am not getting a slight squeak out back because I didn't swap in new bushings when I did the rears (they were still okay then; they are no longer). That's my next job...

I should have mentioned that this was done around 200k kms fronts and backs just because the springs were doing most of the work - wasn't firm enough when cornering at speed. The new shocks - esp up front - fixed that up real good.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,235 Posts
sorry for the confusion guys...my earlier response was to the OP'er about tires and time...and he replaced his at 25K miles...

Bill

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
973 Posts
My car has fe3 suspension so it rides hard. when I bought it at 50,000 miles it rode hard and now it 95000 miles it still rides hard. fun to drive at high speeds, it handles very well.
Riding "hard" is a symptom of worn shocks. They don't get soft when they wear out, they lose damping. I have FE3 with 10K miles on it, it doesn't ride harsh.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
973 Posts
Hi.

I drive a 2010 cts awd 3.6 station wagon with 50k miles. I love the car. But I've perceived the suspension seems a bit squishy lately. There is no obvious leakage. It doesn't make sounds or vibrations. The ride just seems wallowy.

Has anyone else experienced this after 50k miles/10 years? Did you replace the springs/shocks? Did it help? Which shocks did you put in? What are considered the best shocks for the 2010 cts 3.6 awd to give a sporty performance--OEM or after market?

Thanks for any insight.

Peter
Trust your feelings, Luke. If you can feel the degradation, it's time. If the car is 10 years old, replace the springs too. They're cheap. With springs it's more time than miles. Also, you can switch to FE3 if you're so inclined as well as j55 brakes. You're buying new parts anyway. It is a bit of a trick identifying the part numbers and spring codes, however.

Edit: I don't know if FE3 applies to a AWD

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,419 Posts
My Avensis turned 330.000 kms on the same front shocks. They feel a bit loose now. Changed the rear springs and shocks some years back - mainly because I wanted stiffer ones when driving with heavy load and caravan. That car is a raum wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts