Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Car

I don't know how your tastes run, but I think this (2006) is beautiful. 1. It's high in miles (170,000). However, I did buy a 2008 DTS two years ago with 167,000 miles on it, and it has been trouble-free, but that was local, and I had a mechanic inspect it first; 2. It's almost a two-hour drive away just to test-drive; 3. I have no idea who in that area can inspect it for me; 4. Because it's at a dealership, the price is probably several hundred dollars more than it would be from a private citizen.
Opinions, please.

Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
170,000 miles.
Nope.

Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
suppose it depends on if you want to rebuild everything? - i would save that kind of coin on a true classic

Registered
2014 SRX 3.6 Perf. 2010 DTS 4.6 Lux
The miles are not the only factor to consider. I bought a 96 Northstar DeVile at 120k and drove it to 160k. It was still running great. The original owner commuted 65 miles per day on the interstate and she maintained it impeccably. I bought an 88 Towncar at 76k and drove it to 182k. It may be that this car is one of those well kept finds. If it was a real piece of junk it would probably already been parted out. Look for oil dripping off the engine oil pan. If there is any, walk away or be prepared to spend 6 to 10 grand on engine seals. Take the covers off both fuse boxes and look for melted wires. Scan for codes before signing anything. Best wishes. It is a looker.

Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
That kinda mileage it'd better be cheap as things just start wearing out... I never buy a car with over 100k unless it's a beater.

Premium Member
2000 DHS
That's a good point. Is that top made for owners who keep this kind of car in a garage? I don't have one; it would be parked on the street.
Those tops are built to last. I had 1 on my previous Cadillac, a 97鈥 SLS and 20yrs. later the top still looked like new. There are some that I鈥檝e seen that have somehow been ruined but I can鈥檛 imagine how that could happen under normal conditions.

How much are they asking for the car? I think it looks good. I like the DTS wheels on it even though it would look alot better with some whitewalls on it. It鈥檚 high miles but at least it鈥檚 a 06鈥 Northstar so you don鈥檛 really have to worry about head gasket issues. I鈥檇 consider it at the right price, I鈥檓 talking 4-5k. if everything looks good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those tops are built to last. I had 1 on my previous Cadillac, a 97鈥 SLS and 20yrs. later the top still looked like new. There are some that I鈥檝e seen that have somehow been ruined but I can鈥檛 imagine how that could happen under normal conditions.

How much are they asking for the car? I think it looks good. I like the DTS wheels on it even though it would look alot better with some whitewalls on it. It鈥檚 high miles but at least it鈥檚 a 06鈥 Northstar so you don鈥檛 really have to worry about head gasket issues. I鈥檇 consider it at the right price, I鈥檓 talking 4-5k. if everything looks good.
The asking price is $5,250. KBB says from a dealer, a fair purchase price is $4,013, and that a typical listing price is $4,457. Do you know what the difference is between the two?

I came upon the car on-line about a month ago; I don't know how long it has been on the lot. It makes me think: 1. The lot will cut the price to get rid of it; 2. Something isn't quite right with it, or someone would have bought it.
Something similar happened to me a coupla months ago. I fell in love with a Cadillac on a used dealer's lot, but when I went to test drive it, it wasn't everything I expected.

Premium Member
2000 DHS
The asking price is $5,250. KBB says from a dealer, a fair purchase price is $4,013, and that a typical listing price is $4,457. Do you know what the difference is between the two?

I came upon the car on-line about a month ago; I don't know how long it has been on the lot. It makes me think: 1. The lot will cut the price to get rid of it; 2. Something isn't quite right with it, or someone would have bought it.
Something similar happened to me a coupla months ago. I fell in love with a Cadillac on a used dealer's lot, but when I went to test drive it, it wasn't everything I expected.
The difference between those 2 numbers? They mean that a fair price for that year car is $4,013 but most people are usually asking a bit more with the typical asking price being $4,457 [according to KBB]

As you can see, that dealers asking price is about $1,000 dollars more than the typical asking price but you might factor in the fact that it鈥檚 a used car dealer that鈥檚 selling it vs. private party.

I agree that on that particular car with it having been on their lot for over a month it might be a good time to negotiate a lower price. I don鈥檛 think there鈥檚 necessarily something wrong with it or they wouldn鈥檛 be asking that much for it in the 1st place. [but at the same time used car dealerships can be the worst snakes so don鈥檛 put it past them]

If it was me, and I really wanted that car I鈥檇 walk in there and offer them $4,000 cash. $4,200 tops and that鈥檚 pushing it considering the mileage. If they won鈥檛 take that then good luck having it sit there another month.

Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
I personally think its too much, i would also consider the wear on the interior as a factor.... if it still there on dec 31st at 4 PM walk in and offer 3 K out the door, i bought my 2011 SRX that way at 100K ....waited till closing and offered 10K with all taxes and other B.S, they said no, we walked and they came running out....threw the CC down and there we are ...:), paid the card off the next day

steve

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2hr. drive just to test drive it is a real chore鈥 I鈥檇 have to be in love to travel that far just to test drive a car.
I can't think of a better-looking Cadillac that has the North Star engine that is seemingly past the danger years of oil leaks, so, yes, I really do like it.
But, combining Eldorado 2K's strategy with Tripwire's (do you really mean I should wait almost five more months?) makes me ask, if that would be effective on the telephone, or will it work only if I'm there in person.

I'm a little antsy about this because I found a very nice 2005 Continental (am I allowed to type that here?) that has the same colour scheme, and with only 98,000 miles on it. And, it's only 50 minutes away. But, of course, the lot where the Cadillac is parked will be closed through Monday morning, so I can't pull my squeeze play by phone or by face.

Registered
2006 DTS
I know people are telling you that 170k is a lot of miles but, that is just over 10,000 miles a year, this car is 16 years old! I will say this, the car looks well taken care of and for the price of cars right now I think the price is right on the money, as far as the continental they are known for bad transmissions And electrical problems. See if you can get the records (if any) on the dts before you make a decision. Good luck!:)

Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
If that's their best price, then walk. For me, just as a matter of personal taste, I wouldn't even consider a Deville with that top.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If that's their best price, then walk. For me, just as a matter of personal taste, I wouldn't even consider a Deville with that top.
Is your displeasure with the price based on the exterior of the car? On that part of the consideration, we'll have to respectfully disagree, but I also like black licorice.

Registered
First of all it looks like it's in fantastic condition. The downside is 170k on the odometer and it's on a "dealer" lot and not a private party. Knowing the history of a car is the major consideration for me. I only want to buy from the original owner. I know that's not always an easy thing to find, but that's how I roll. Since you can't get anyone to take a look at it for you I would use the "2 hour drive" as sort of a short vacation and plan on staying there overnight. Take it for a thorough test drive and test every freakin' option on the car. Take it for a 20 mile run, find some stop-n-go traffic to get caught in. If you could get it for $4k and then only get a couple of years out of it without anything major going wrong I would consider it a win/win.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First of all it looks like it's in fantastic condition. The downside is 170k on the odometer and it's on a "dealer" lot and not a private party. Knowing the history of a car is the major consideration for me. I only want to buy from the original owner. I know that's not always an easy thing to find, but that's how I roll. Since you can't get anyone to take a look at it for you I would use the "2 hour drive" as sort of a short vacation and plan on staying there overnight. Take it for a thorough test drive and test every freakin' option on the car. Take it for a 20 mile run, find some stop-n-go traffic to get caught in. If you could get it for $4k and then only get a couple of years out of it without anything major going wrong I would consider it a win/win.
Is there an actual free service that will allow me to check the car's history? I have the V.I.N.

Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
CARFaX is a voluntary reporting service that may - but probably not - have most of the vehicle's life events. A GM dealership can run an old VIS download - all reported GM history, but it's at the discretion of an individual dealership service writer and is usually for that dealership customers only.

"Honey, I smacked the doo-doo out of the RF fender on the Deville. Cooter and BillyBob fixed it with some Bondo and a rattle can! Tell CARFaX, will you?"

Registered
99 Eldo ETC 13 XTS 69 Chevelle 17 Yukon
I have never used a tech 2 but always wondered if it would show revolutions on rotating assembly or hours on engine. I know on my home generator on computer read out it shows hours on unit oil changes and battery change. If it did that would show condition of rotating assembly on vehicle you are looking at.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts