Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Z06,TBSS, looking for Cts-V
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many former or current Z06 owners have a V. I'm seriously considering selling my Z and getting into a modified V. Wondering how the transition was going from a sport two seater into a sedan.

Also, if anyone knows of a modified black V I'd appreciate any leads.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 Silver V 06 Silver Z06
1,918 Posts
i had an 01 z with cam and full exhaust and intake

the v is a good car so far but been itching for a new style Z bad lately!

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
I came from a 2002 Z06 to a CTS-V.. To be honest, they really are two different cars.. The Z is your "racer" (garage trophy) and the V is a perfect car for the street and has plenty of grunt! The power isn't going to match all that much either. The Z has tons of power all through the rpm band, whereas the V has to turn higher RPMs to start feeling the motor.
The V does have the regular problems.. Maybe a lil more than the Z06, but I'm still enjoying the swap..The interior in the V is MUUUCH better than the Z06 as well. Many more buttons to mess w/ and much more comfortable to drive more often!
The Z, in my opinion, was too delicate to drive... You take it down the interstate once, you'll notice new paint chips once you get back home!

I'm not regretting the swap, but they really are different :D

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
^I thought the same thing when I was in a 06 being that I'm not used to getting out of a car that low to the ground.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Z is definately my toy car. I have a year round car already, and I'm wondering if the V will fulfill my toy car wishes. I'm sure a H/C package or supercharger would get me there. It would also be nice to able to take the whole family in the toy car.

Are there many H/C or supercharged V's out there?

·
Registered
2005 RedLine Cadillac CTS-V
457 Posts
The Z has tons of power all through the rpm band, whereas the V has to turn higher RPMs to start feeling the motor.
I'm thinking that 2006+ V's will be less power hungry below 3000 rpm. Also, part of this problem has to do with the dual-mass flywheel.

·
Registered
09 Silver V 06 Silver Z06
1,918 Posts
i have an ls2 motor in my 05 and it just doesnt seem the same peppyness as my z06 did, even when stock, yeah the flywheel has alot to do with it i think!

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
209 Posts
I didn't have a z06...but I did have a close relative...

Before my '05 V I had a 2000 Trans Am WS6 with full bolt ons, heads, and cam. Loved that car. LOUD AS HELL...some have seen the burnout vid.

For those that haven't, here you go...

CLICK ME

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V Black/Black
157 Posts
I own both and with bad knees the vette is a problem in & out. Low and those barn doors cause problems when you go out and park in a lot with other cars. But the power/weight advantage and handling make the Z quite a "ride" vs the "V".

And last week I added to my fleet with the polar opp with a 2008 F350 Super Duty. Now I go mountain climbing in and out of this beast, talk about killing my knees:thepan:

V

·
0 Posts
I have a 00 coupe that I spend most of my time in. Z06 suspension and over 200 lbs. In weight reduction and a few tuned bolt-ons gives me 35 mpg on the highway and quick enough to run down 07 GT3's on the back stretch at Road Atlanta. The V makes me yawn. :). But quick enough for when you need it.

Norm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its almost sounding like the 'V' will be a major letdown. Maybe I should reconsider.

V

·
0 Posts
Its almost sounding like the 'V' will be a major letdown. Maybe I should reconsider.

One drive and you'll. It is a sports car that can be driven daily, but tends to be too sporty for most.

Norm

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
My V is a C5 eater,C6 a drivers race even with the maggie.Of course we top out at 160ish too.Every now and then I think I need a vette,but ditching the V would not be an option for a vette.I would need both!I really need an SLR.:highfive:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I drove one tonight and had mixed feelings. I now see what is said about not having the power on the low end. The rear end also seemed to have a clunk at a semi hard shift into second. The tranny seemed sloppier than an old prostitute. Is that normal?

I knew I would disappointed in stock form. I was disappointed when I test drove a stock 03' Cobra before modding one. I have a line on an 07' Cts with an LS7, I just don't know if I can afford it. My other option is buying a 04-05' and throwing a Maggie on.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
The V is no slouch stock. However, with a Maggie, nice tune, full exhaust, you have an entirely different feeling car. I can’t speak to stock FE4 suspension because I bought mine with the upgraded FG2, but my car in its current form handles far better than my previous 2002 C5 Z51 and 2003 M3. I think adding a coil-over would just make it insane in the twisties.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts