Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for your inputs.

My CEL went on and OBD scanner said crankshaft position -intake camshaft position not plausible, P018, camshaft position correlation Bank 2 Sensor A.
Mechanic changed cam shaft sensor(s), but mechanic did not indicate to me he changed Bank 2 Sensor A sensor.
The CEL light is back on and OBD scanner still says P018, Bank 2 Sensor A.

My mechanic said there is only one cam shaft sensor and it was replaced, so the CEL light is pointing to a timing issue.
Before I take it to Cadillac dealer to diagnose I want some idea of what it could be.

1)Is there only 1 cam shaft sensor in the engine and hence it was changed and CEL light is really caused by something else ?
or is it possible my mechanic changed the wrong cam shaft sensor ?

I am trying everything before the dreaded timing chain replacement at 80k miles.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,395 Posts
This is a VVT(variable valve timing) engine. It is OHC and has four cams. Each cam has a position sensor. It is evident that the mechanics of this engine are way beyond the skills of your mechanic. The usual problem is that the connector on the sensor is fouled with oil. The cure is to remove the sensors, clean the oil from both halves of the connectors, replace the sensors, and reconnect them using di-electric grease on the contacts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Thanks in advance for your inputs.

I was driving and got CEL light on with P018 fault code on 80k mile V6 STS. My mechanic confirmed today they did replace all 4 cam shaft position sensors + 1 crankshaft position sensor but CEL light is still back on. My mechanic says I need a new timing chain.

If all 4 cam shaft sensors + 1 crankshaft position sensor have been replaced but CEL is on and I still get P018 error, "Crankshaft position -Intake Camshaft Position not Plausible, bank2 sensor A" then does it point to timing chain requiring replacement ?

I am thinking of taking to Cadillac dealer to check the CEL error and then tell them all crankshaft/camshaft sensors have been replaced to confirm the timing chain needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
29,395 Posts
Considering the history of these engines bad timing chains would not surprise me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Than-you very much.

Update:The Cadillac Gods mysteriously have blessed me by saving me a $3000.00 timing chain swap and I am smiling ear to ear.

-The CEL light was on with a P018 cam shaft sensor error code
-all the cam shaft sensors were changed (2x time in 1.5 years)
-CEL light stayed on 3 weeks as I drove 3000 miles and car was running fine
-I changed the oil, disconnected the battery and reset the computer
-80 miles after oil change the CEL went off
-110 miles after oil change the CEL light went back on
-120 miles after oil change the CEL light went off and car runs like new

I am hoping it is really an electrical issue and not a timing chain issue because the car idles smoothly and runs perfectly fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: All the cam shaft sensors were changed months ago and the CEL light error is still throwing P018 ' cam shaft sensor.'
I decided to ignore the CEL light because I have had minor electrical gremlins in the past that come and go and the cam shaft sensors were definitely changed multiple times.
The car still runs flawlessly with the CEL light on for months.

I feel lucky and am tired of chasing the cam shaft sensor ghost.

I'm going to drive the car until the engine seizes and I repair or junk the car or, I hopefully get 170k miles on this car (currently at 83k miles and runs great!!)

·
Premium Member
29,395 Posts
You might get access to a sophisticated scanner like a GM TECII that will read out cam sensor data points rather than just trouble codes so you can tell what's really wrong. Go to an equipped mom and pop repair shop. A basic code reader doesn't tell you much more than the CEL light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts