Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 92 deville the other day with 120,000 miles,I would like to get the trans fluid changed ( I know not to flush it) I use a g.m. trained mechanic who does the more involved stuff for me,how long should this take to do?,also is there a basic drain procedure and a more involved one
that is more thorough that involves cleaning the screen?.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Basically, loosen the pan bolts (FSM says 4 turns) and gently pry it loose enough that the oil will exit into the BIG drain pan (must hold more than 6 quarts). Then remove the bolts the rest of the way. Inspect the drain pan stuff for the usual telltale crud, (metal filing, clutch material, Antifreeze, dead bugs, etc.) to get clues if it's in need of a rebuild. Clean the screen and pan with solvent and blow dry. Clean and dry the mating surfaces, then replace the filter and put the pan back in place. Add 6 quarts of fluid then run the car in park for a short period checking the level. add more fluid to top up mark. you are done. IDK how long that would take- maybe 5-10 minutes? Just kiddin

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,576 Posts
The more involved method is to remove the trans fluid cooler line from the radiator side tank (after draining the pan), attach a hose to it and start the engine. Allow the pump to pump the T/C dry. That gets ALL the fluid out. Most people (including myself) do not do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts