Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How long have you owned your Deville\ Caddi\ favorite car ?

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  AirportDave 
#1 ·
Just curious.
When I find a car I like I tend to hang on to it. I had my Firebird for 16 years. I sold it when it got too bad to keep up with it. I'm going on 11 years with the 04 Deville, I put a motor in it last year so I will probably keep that a couple more years.

#3 ·
Just curious.
When I find a car I like I tend to hang on to it. I had my Firebird for 16 years. I sold it when it got too bad to keep up with it. I'm going on 11 years with the 04 Deville, I put a motor in it last year so I will probably keep that a couple more years.
Got a firebird and a deville and seville. I don't understand what there is to keep up with. The firebird is easy, now replacing the engine seem to be a chore. How much did that cost?
I am looking for another cherry deville as a back up as they don't make them anymore. It is a fine car indeed. I don't think it will be that hard to find one; I can wait. Now the Seville is another story; it is ordinary.

#5 ·
The firebird had so many rust holes in it, it was literally falling apart, none of the local body shops wanted to touch it. The one shop that did quote me was over 5 figures to do it all. I could have bought another for less money.
The motor in the deville was a little over $5000 including the swap over.

#6 ·
DeVilles are my favorite, I had a 95 that I had to sell a little over 4 years ago now because I was having to deliver subs in college and I knew in my heart between its age and the gas mileage that was a bad idea. If anything major happened to it, I'd have been out of work and was a broke college kid so I couldn't have it fixed lol. I miss it every day, finally had enough spending cash to buy a 94 last week but it broke down on the way home...I haven't decided whether it's worth paying more than the car is worth to fix so now it's sitting at a garage waiting to be towed to my house as a lawn ornament.

#12 ·
I started driving Cadillacs in 1989 - bought a new 1989 Coupe Deville -
hit a deer and totaled it in 1995 -

I bought a LOADED 1995 Sedan Deville brand new - put 176,000 miles on it -
MANY of those miles were towing my 2000+ pound Bass Boat -
THIS is probably my FAVORITE Cadillac -

got T-boned - replaced it with a new 2003 Seville - SLS -

I currently own 2- 2002 Deville DHS -
#1 - 33K miles - bought new -
#2 - 156K miles - bought with 100K on it -
and 1- 2003 Deville DHS - 66K miles -

I consider the DHS models the last "real" Cadillac -

#13 ·
I bought my '90 DeVille in '93 with 58K miles. Best car I ever had. Turned 180K last week. I change the oil regularly, try to keep the salt off and have recorded 30 mpg with a tail wind. I'd have another one in a heart beat. They do have some little quirks, but you get to know them after a while.

#14 ·
I bought my 2000 SLS new and now has 292,200 miles on it and still going. I bought a low mileage 2004 SLS a few years ago to replace my 2000 when it died. The problem is my 2000 won't die! It has had very few issues and everything in the car still works. The 2004 has been sitting in my garage for 4 years waiting for it's turn. I take it out once a year to keep the fluids circulated. The spiders have it anchored to the floor at the moment.
:D

#15 ·
FWIW, I've had my black 1990 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (equipped with almost all possible factory options) since I bought it new in Dallas, TX in July 1990! Thanks to taking exceptional care of it, it is still in near-showroom condition (virtually always garaged), does not leak a drop of anything, has 100% compression on all cylinders, has no mechanical or electrical problems, and gets incredibly good gas mileage (21-29 mpg) for its size thanks to its light aluminum block engine. Naturally, I have had to put a lot of money into maintaining it as this model had its weaknesses. For example, I have only gotten 50K miles at most from each of the 4-5 water pumps I have had put into it. The oil and transmission gaskets are also subject to leaking and have to be re-installed perfectly to not leak again. The solenoid-driven electronic door locks also go out occasionally, the power windows are slow, etc. To keep the vehicle current, I also installed after-market remote start and remote door, and trunk locks. But, overall, I have saved tens of thousands of dollars on car payments I would have otherwise made over my 30-years of owning a classic Cadillac Sedan DeVille! And, most importantly, veteran Cadillac sales guys and techs tell me there is not another vehicle with more comfortable seats! That says a lot when my primary drive is a cushy Porsche Cayenne equipped with Porsche's Air Suspension Management (PASM) system. My Cadillac - not my Porsche - is the car I take for road trips! In 1990, Cadillacs were made in a real Cadillac plant - not a generic GM plant!

#16 ·
Just curious.
I have a 1993 Fleetwood I bought in September 1993 with 14,000 miles. Replaced A/C system about ten years ago. Only minor repairs, no dents,scratches. I live in a small rural town. Car now has only 126,000 miles. Garage kept. No engine, transmission problems. I plan to get 250,000 miles, maybe 5 or 6 more years. Great car.

#17 ·
I currently have my first Cadillac; a 2003 de ville that my wife bought last June at an auction!! It "needed" a BUNCH of things. I think I just got the last CHECK ENGINE LIGHT issue completed. Absolutely love the car - smooth, responsive, quiet, large seats, etc. I only need wheel well chrome for the right front (after market I have been told) to complete the exterior.

#18 ·
I obtained my first car in 1975, and just sold it a few years ago. It was a 1957 Pontiac Safari station wagon with 157,000 miles on it, and I put another 150,000 miles on it. I recently purchased my first Cadillac, a 1995 Eldorado ETC with 65,000 miles, which I am enjoying a great deal.

#19 · (Edited)
1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham,owned it since 97 with 46,000 miles on it, 304,000 miles on it now, still runs well, but retired it and drive it occasionally (classic car insurance). Now I drive a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with only 180,000 miles on it, no issues so far,
The 1993 was a very low maintenance car, one transmission, rear end bearings, and regular other maintenance (spark plugs and wires, distributor, brakes...)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Cadillac fleetwood brougham

#20 · (Edited)
1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, 304,000 miles on it, still runs well, but retired it and drive it occasionally (classic car insurance). Now I drive a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with only 180,000 miles on it, no issues so far,
The 1993 was a very low maintenance car, one transmission, rear end bearings, and regular other maintenance (spark plugs and wires, distributor, brakes...)

This is the 93
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Cadillac fleetwood brougham Luxury vehicle

#21 ·
Just curious.
I am a keeper as well! I have a 1964 Fleetwood that I purchased over 20 years ago! My folks purchased a 1993 DeVille in 1994, I now own that car and am bringing it back to former glory! It is a wonderful road car, and gets 25 MPG! My sweetheart's recently purchased 2010 DTS does not do much better than that on gas. Amazing in 17 years, not much improvement in MPG. The DTS does have many toys that the '93 lacks, but I still like the '93 DeVille. Simpler is sometimes better!

#22 ·
Hi there, got a 1993 Sedan DeVille, Gunmetal Metallic, 97.7k mi., Currently in FL
The car has been in the family since 1995. I took it over from my parents in 2010.
It is in good condition, runs well, has good rubber, & regularly serviced.
The A/C was converted to R 134; I replaced a few rusted brake lines, transmission cooler, front wheel bearings & Rt. front drive axle. They tell me rear shock air bladders are leaking, so I disconnected the fuse to the electric level control. However there still is no better ride, & I have driven it from NY to FL for the past 5 yrs. Unfortunately, I may have to part with it, since I will be moving from NY to FL, & will no longer be taking those long rides.

Just curious.

#23 ·
Love the stories here. I just had to chime in.

I bought my 2005 Deville in 2010 with 29,000 miles. Followed advise here with maintenance and ideas. Namely, count on approximately 1 quart oil use every 1000 miles. I check and add as needed with the trip meter's help.

I have done little else besides replacing the stock window regulators front and back on the drivers side with upgraded ones. Other items are normal maintenance items, tires, belts and such, so I do not count those.. Added goodies were Vogue wheels, interior wood kit and some chrome pieces. It is still running great at 154,000+ miles just like when I bought it. One of the best cars I've ever owned and I have owned quite a few.

I put about 300-500 freeway miles a week on it and get 24-27 MPG. Hard to beat that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.