Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, unlike my 2009 escalade hybrid that can idle up to infinity, I just noticed that the 2015 has a time limit for idling. After having a sumptuous lunch for Father's Day decided to drop off family to go shopping while I rest in the escalade. Parking and letting it idle continuously, it turned off after two hours, with key inside! Warning to those leaving kids inside an idling vehicle!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,481 Posts
Two hours ??? Never would have thought the engine would take that abuse for close to that long. Next time, get your dead ass out of the vehicle and hole up in a Starbucks or Dunkin' Donut.

Ever heard of carbon monoxide poisoning (death) - and leaving kids inside an unattended car ????

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Submariner409 said:
Two hours ??? Never would have thought the engine would take that abuse for close to that long. Next time, get your dead ass out of the vehicle and hole up in a Starbucks or Dunkin' Donut. Ever heard of carbon monoxide poisoning (death) - and leaving kids inside an unattended car ????
Not in an open parking lot? I keep the engine running in rest stops on long travels, what's the difference?

·
Registered
15i Granite/Kona (bought back)/ '16 Granite/Kona
314 Posts
Well, unlike my 2009 escalade hybrid that can idle up to infinity, I just noticed that the 2015 has a time limit for idling. After having a sumptuous lunch for Father's Day decided to drop off family to go shopping while I rest in the escalade. Parking and letting it idle continuously, it turned off after two hours, with key inside! Warning to those leaving kids inside an idling vehicle!
Proven once again, you just can't fix stupid. I have read a lot of really, really dumb posts here, and even respond to a few….But this one just might take the award.

And someone is paying you enough money to swing an Escalade? Wow.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tyresmoker said:
Proven once again, you just can't fix stupid. I have read a lot of really, really dumb posts here, and even respond to a few….But this one just might take the award. And someone is paying you enough money to swing an Escalade? Wow.
So you mean to say I cannot keep the vehicle idling? It is an open space parking lot not inside a building. So your point is?

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
The design on the new escalade is quite unique. First, you must park the escalade in an enclosed garage. The smaller the better and make sure the garage is sealed well. Second, run all the windows down in your escalade as far as possible. You must meet these two steps, in order for your escalade to idle for limitless hours.

Disclaimer: do not try this at home. :D

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay guys it was at an OPEN AIR parking lot in somerset mall. Anybody familiar with the area knows it's not enclosed, occupant is not asleep nor trying to. There is NO risk for CO poisoning in an open space unless the NEW escalade platinum recirculates the exhaust fumes back inside the vehicle. This is absurd.

·
Registered
15i Granite/Kona (bought back)/ '16 Granite/Kona
314 Posts
Okay guys it was at an OPEN AIR parking lot in somerset mall. Anybody familiar with the area knows it's not enclosed, occupant is not asleep nor trying to. There is NO risk for CO poisoning in an open space unless the NEW escalade platinum recirculates the exhaust fumes back inside the vehicle. This is absurd.
Isn't New Jersey a no-idle state?
I know, it is for diesel engines…gas engines are different…they don't pollute?

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Hopefully you were on the South side. Only reason I go to the North side is for dining at The Capital Grille.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rjm said:
Hopefully you were on the South side. Only reason I go to the North side is for dining at The Capital Grille.
Somerset collection in front of Saks Fifth Avenue in Troy, MI;)

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rjm said:
That's usually where we park!!!! Are you encamped at The Townsend as well?!
Haven't tried that hotel. Is it any good? I have only been to the fairmont. Would like to try the Marriott of the Renaissance Center though. I'm a mid michigan local.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Haven't tried that hotel. Is it any good? I have only been to the fairmont. Would like to try the Marriott of the Renaissance Center though. I'm a mid michigan local.
With the demise of the Ritz-Carlton, Dearborn, The Townsend is the only LUXURY hotel in metro Detroit. (No matter what the Westin Book Cadillac or MGM Grand would like you to believe). Being in Downtown Birmingham, it's a very short walk to many shops and restaurants and Somerset is a very short drive. We always have a suite with balcony overlooking Shain Park. The only negative is it is the preferred hotel for visiting celebrities.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rjm said:
With the demise of the Ritz-Carlton, Dearborn, The Townsend is the only LUXURY hotel in metro Detroit. (No matter what the Westin Book Cadillac or MGM Grand would like you to believe). Being in Downtown Birmingham, it's a very short walk to many shops and restaurants and Somerset is a very short drive. We always have a suite with balcony overlooking Shain Park. The only negative is it is the preferred hotel for visiting celebrities.
Thanks for the tip;)

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I noticed that this is not unique to the escalade's 6.2 L V8's. It also happened on my rental suburban with 5.7 L V8. If you have a K9 in your patrol car and have it idle for that long, that can be a safety issue?

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
On the one hand it's interesting knowing the car will idle that long. On the other, I cannot believe it could possibly be good for it.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CJd said:
On the one hand it's interesting knowing the car will idle that long. On the other, I cannot believe it could possibly be good for it.
My 2009 escalade hybrid that it replaced would last infinity.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
The hybrid is different. The engine switches off until the battery gets low, doesn't it? When it does switch on its turning a big ole' alternator to recharge the battery, which is putting a load on the engine. Under load a combustion engine does a better job purging the gasses from the chamber. At idle and no load, it recycles a lot of pre-burned gases. It may be fine...but it just seems like you're going to get a lot of carbon build up in the engine letting it idle long periods.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CJd said:
The hybrid is different. The engine switches off until the battery gets low, doesn't it? When it does switch on its turning a big ole' alternator to recharge the battery, which is putting a load on the engine. Under load a combustion engine does a better job purging the gasses from the chamber. At idle and no load, it recycles a lot of pre-burned gases. It may be fine...but it just seems like you're going to get a lot of carbon build up in the engine letting it idle long periods.
The new 2015 escalades are direct injection meaning the fuel are pretty much atomized hence its cleaner burning and economical vs previous 6.2's. The hybrid cycles from ICE to EV based on the computer to keep the 300v charged.

·
Registered
2005 sts2007 xlr v1941,1947,1948 sedenettes,1957 seville,195
26 Posts
I'd like to know if there is a time limit on the engine, for all the crap remarks , maybe you have not been stuck on an LA freeway in 100 degree weather. I held off buying a 2015 because of the 2007 and early 2008 troubles on some of the cars. I did plan on a 2016 late next year just befoe the 2017 models

1 - 20 of 69 Posts