Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Looking at XTS Premium/Platinum
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How is the included Bose 8 speaker (Premium/Performance package 10 speaker) sound?

I realize that it isn't going to be a $3,000+ after market system...

But is it pretty good?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
The Bose in my Performance Coupe sounds good with more than enough bass. But I mainly listen to compressed music (XM radio and MP3 through my USB drive). I have had aftermarket audio on my old cars until I realized factory system on a luxury car are good enough for me.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
I am an audiophile and former (25 yrs ago) car audio competitor on the IASCA circuit. I am not a Bose fan by any stretch of the imagination, and wouldn't even consider their products for the home environment. That said, the Bose system in my coupe is pretty darn good. No one was more surprised by this than me. No, it's not anywhere close to the vacuum tubes and vinyl system I enjoy at home, but it's good enough that I don't stress about upgrading it. Sure, you could do better. But I'm ok with it, and I'm a tough sell.

Shakey

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,597 Posts
The Bose in my Performance Coupe sounds good with more than enough bass. But I mainly listen to compressed music (XM radio and MP3 through my USB drive). I have had aftermarket audio on my old cars until I realized factory system on a luxury car are good enough for me.
Sound is subjective. One mans junk may be another mans gold.

·
Registered
2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L FE5
186 Posts
This is he first car I have owned that I did not upgrade the audio. While the system is not perfect for my particular tastes it is close enough that I really don't even think about it. If you look at the cost of upgrading the sound so it's actually better than the Bose it's a no brainier. Just leave it be and put the money in to other things. At least that's my opinion.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
Good points, all of youse gize.

·
Registered
2013 SRX Performance
14 Posts
I have been an professional audio engineer for over 25 years and wasn't expecting much when I got the car in terms of audio especially with the Bose but I was pleasantly surprised. Like others have said its not perfect but if you do some basic adjustments it can sound quite good.....

·
Premium Member
'11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
1,547 Posts
For a car, it's good. A $3000 sound system in a car, IMHO, is only for bragging rights.

·
Registered
2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi
212 Posts
I am an audiophile and former (25 yrs ago) car audio competitor on the IASCA circuit. I am not a Bose fan by any stretch of the imagination, and wouldn't even consider their products for the home environment. That said, the Bose system in my coupe is pretty darn good. No one was more surprised by this than me. No, it's not anywhere close to the vacuum tubes and vinyl system I enjoy at home, but it's good enough that I don't stress about upgrading it. Sure, you could do better. But I'm ok with it, and I'm a tough sell.

Shakey
Shake when did you compete IASCA? Im actually still current on the circuit.. LOL

As for the bose system I have put the system to the test and can say it is good but far from Perfect to say the least. According to the SSM DD1 unit the head deck and amp starts to clip at about 26 clicks of volume ( which is where the unit begins to remove the sub bass signal and extends the midrange. I basically added a Digital sound Processor ( Audison Bit One) added 4 Hertz amps and replaced my speakers with Hybrid Legatia drivers. With the right settings and curve the car sounds amazing enough to take 2nd in Sound Quality at Spring Break Nationals. and the only reason I took 2nd was a mid bass Phase issue ( I lost by five points) Point being you can make this car sound amazing by making some changes and about 3-4 K

as far as the question at hand I think what was being asked is how is an 8 speaker system a 10 way... There is a 10 ways system that comes with Navi equipped cuts' the speaker placements are on the
dash Left 3" full midrange
dash Center 3" full midrange DTS & DOLBY Center channel
dash Right 3" full midrange
door left 9" flat mid bass
door right 9" flat mid bass
Rear side panel left 5 1/4" Mid-bass driver
rear side panel right 5 1/4" Mid-bass driver
Rear deck left 3" full midrange
Rear deck Right 3" full midrange
Rear deck center 11" Flat Subwoofer with integrated amp

There's your 10 way system Hope this clarifies! :)

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
A $3000 sound system in a car, IMHO, is only for bragging rights

If you had ever heard Richard Clark's Buick Grand National back in the 80s, you would probably retract that statement. FAR more than 3K, but quality sound that met or exceeded some 50K systems I have heard at home. It can be done, but it ain't cheap.

Shakey

----------

Shake when did you compete IASCA? Im actually still current on the circuit.. LOL

As for the bose system I have put the system to the test and can say it is good but far from Perfect to say the least. According to the SSM DD1 unit the head deck and amp starts to clip at about 26 clicks of volume ( which is where the unit begins to remove the sub bass signal and extends the midrange. I basically added a Digital sound Processor ( Audison Bit One) added 4 Hertz amps and replaced my speakers with Hybrid Legatia drivers. With the right settings and curve the car sounds amazing enough to take 2nd in Sound Quality at Spring Break Nationals. and the only reason I took 2nd was a mid bass Phase issue ( I lost by five points) Point being you can make this car sound amazing by making some changes and about 3-4 K

as far as the question at hand I think what was being asked is how is an 8 speaker system a 10 way... There is a 10 ways system that comes with Navi equipped cuts' the speaker placements are on the
dash Left 3" full midrange
dash Center 3" full midrange DTS & DOLBY Center channel
dash Right 3" full midrange
door left 9" flat mid bass
door right 9" flat mid bass
Rear side panel left 5 1/4" Mid-bass driver
rear side panel right 5 1/4" Mid-bass driver
Rear deck left 3" full midrange
Rear deck Right 3" full midrange
Rear deck center 11" Flat Subwoofer with integrated amp

There's your 10 way system Hope this clarifies! :)
I briefly competed during the 1989 season. I found out quickly I was out of my league and started pursuing high end home audio, which I am still deeply involved in.

Shakey

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should make a comeback! LOL Some of the big dogs are back in the game but the classes changed over the years! ;)

If you had ever heard Richard Clark's Buick Grand National back in the 80s, you would probably retract that statement. FAR more than 3K, but quality sound that met or exceeded some 50K systems I have heard at home. It can be done, but it ain't cheap.

Shakey

----------

I briefly competed during the 1989 season. I found out quickly I was out of my league and started pursuing high end home audio, which I am still deeply involved in.

Shakey

·
Registered
212 Posts

If you had ever heard richard clark's buick grand national back in the 80s, you would probably retract that statement. Far more than 3k, but quality sound that met or exceeded some 50k systems i have heard at home. It can be done, but it ain't cheap.

Shakey

----------

i briefly competed during the 1989 season. I found out quickly i was out of my league and started pursuing high end home audio, which i am still deeply involved in.

Shakey
fwiw! Lol!!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
I had a chance to hear Richard's Cadillac Sedan deville system in 1989, which was awesome too. Then I heard the Buick a couple years later. Just jaw dropping. His class was 501-1000 watt. If he pulled into an event with that car on a trailer, the best you could hope for was 2nd place.

Shakey

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
I'm sure some here have done the research, but for those that haven't look up some of the details on Richards Buick. The front drivers were just an incredible feat of engineering. Enclosures that can change interior volume. People reference the gold standard...Richard had the "Diamond Standard" with his drivers. :)

----------

Now that's an old article that brings back memories!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts