Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALL of my door trim panels had fallen off over the years and I got tired of looking at the holes. Here's how I reattached them with baking soda, super glue and a straw. It's holding up, and they're as good as... well, as good as before they fell off.
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle door Tints and shades

1. The problem
2. The pegs sheared off the back of the trim.
3. Pour a little baking soda in the hole. I used a folded Post-It as a funnel.
4. Cover the baking soda with a few drops of Super Glue, making sure all of the baking soda gets wet. Be patient as you repeat this process. If you don't get all of the baking soda wet with super glue it won't completely solidify and hold. As you continue this layering process you'll be creating a new peg/stud to screw into.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rectangle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you get to the top of the broken section.
6. Cut a drinking straw into 1/4" sections.
7. Place a piece of the straw on top of the hole. This is your mold.
8. Continue layering the straw with baking soda and super glue (steps 3 & 4) until it's full. As mentioned, you want to be sure the super glue reaches all of the baking soda, so don't pour too much baking soda at a time. If not, you'll end up with brittle sections and it won't hold. Take your time, but work diligently. The Baking Soda speeds up the curing time, but don't let the glue harden between layers. You want the glue to be wet enough so it bonds with the next layer of baking powder. For this reason, you'll want to work on these posts, one at a time.
Chair Rectangle Bag Wood Drawer

9. Drill a pilot hole in the center of the straw using a drill bit that's slightly narrower than the screws. A Dremmel cutting bit worked for me and the screws I had on hand. Be careful not to drill all the way through, for obvious reasons.
10. This is the back view of the door panel with the trim in place.
11. Screw the trim in place.
12. Finished!

The baking soda/super glue combo is surprisingly stable and solid. If I were to do it all over again, I'd use slightly longer straw pieces and cut 4 slits on the bottom of the straw, so that it slides over the plastic cross-hairs and sits flush with the bottom. This might give it a more stable base because the baking soda falls through the gap (see pic 7). But for now, it's holding up.

By now, you may be wondering how long it took and how much I spent. I rebuilt about 20 posts and reattached the trim on all 4 door panels in under 2 hours. Thank your local fast food joint for the straw, and if you don't have Baking Soda in the fridge or kitchen, ask a neighbor for a tablespoon full. The Super Glue, screws and washers were leftover from previous projects. So, I actually didn't spend a thing on this, but you can get everything for a few bucks at your local hardware store.

Hope this helps someone.

· Registered
'05 Escallade ESV Plat., '16 Z51 Corvette, 12 Lexus IS350C
224 Posts
Looks like a cool fix. Nice work.

I had issues with the arm rest on my '01 Corvette cracking.
Turns out they are made with ABS plastic.
ABS plastic turns to a liquid state using Acetone.
Legos are made of ABS plastic.
Shave up some legos and mix in some acetone and now you have a glue.
I use a ketchup bottle. The acetone will evaporate when stored, so all I do now is add more to the bottle and give it a little time to dissolve.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a cool fix. Nice work.

I had issues with the arm rest on my '01 Corvette cracking.
Turns out they are made with ABS plastic.
ABS plastic turns to a liquid state using Acetone.
Legos are made of ABS plastic.
Shave up some legos and mix in some acetone and now you have a glue.
I use a ketchup bottle. The acetone will evaporate when stored, so all I do now is add more to the bottle and give it a little time to dissolve.
Thanks, realmsteel. Science is pretty cool. :) I would imagine a lot of these parts are ABS. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts