Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a new owner of a 96 STS and am really surprised by how fast it is. It is the fastest car I have ever owned. I have read about factory stock times 0-60 in the 6.5 second range. What is a typical 1/4 mile time and what about top end. I have seen some comments pertaining to the computer limiting the speed. If this is true, what is the max speed? I am a bit of a speed freak, but not crazy enough to try it myself anymore. Some magazine editor must have pushed these machines to their limit. What about Gs on the skid pad. These cars handle exceptionally well.

jon

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
1/4 should be around 15.0, speed limiter is 130 I think.....

.....consider yourself very lucky, you have a very nice car, with the updated interrior and all......only if I had a few more G's when getting my car.....although I can never part with my car, it's my first love......not to say in a few yearsI will not get a 2nd car :::cough::: '96 STS :::cough::: :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Top speed probably depends on the rating of your original factory tires. Mine was 112 when I first got it. Pissed me off because a Viper and IS300 were going about 120. Chip handled that well though.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If your car came with Z rated tires, then you got till 150..... I think the other option was H rated, which go to 130........

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
elwesso said:
If your car came with Z rated tires, then you got till 150..... I think the other option was H rated, which go to 130........
I guess there is one easy way to find out - Pedal to the metal one of these days. Actually I am reasonably certain the speedometer may have briefly brushed against 135 during a moment of imprudent overexhuberance.

I don't know what tires it came with. Next week I have to pick up some parts and maybe someone at the dealer can tell me. If it is limited to 130, then if it is, that will have to be corrected.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Night Wolf said:
1/4 should be around 15.0, speed limiter is 130 I think.....

.....consider yourself very lucky, you have a very nice car, with the updated interrior and all......only if I had a few more G's when getting my car.....although I can never part with my car, it's my first love......not to say in a few yearsI will not get a 2nd car :::cough::: '96 STS :::cough::: :D
Hi Night Wolf,

They are not as expensive as you may thing. If you watch ebay and autotrader.com you may find one that is affordable. I was looking for about four months. Mine has had a tough last year or two. I picked it up very inexpensively. It has cleaned up really well. I got it on ebay. It looks like a theft recovery. It runs well, but needs a bunch of minor repairs which should be finished within another week.

Jon

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Look at the sticker on the door that has the tire size....... It will say something like up to 130mph, or over 149..........

·
Registered
26 Posts
From personal experience, I beg to differ that the '97s are faster. My '01 STS "bone stock" with 40,000 miles ran 14.90 @ 93MPH and my buddies '97 STS 300hp ran 15.22 @ 91 MPH with 55,000 miles on it "bone stock" and he IS a experienced drag racer like myself.

That's all I can tell ya from personal experience. Got another buddy with a '97 300hp STS that won't run me cause he's heard about mine. :D

Mine shuts off @ 128MPH according to the odo but my buddy say's he has had his '97 to 140 and let out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a '97 STS and I can vouch for the fact that I can beat a 99' STS by about three tenths in the quarter. The car is bone stock and I have consistantly ran a 14.8sec at 93 miles. I found if I let the car shitf on its own in (D) I could only pull a 15.0sec at 90 miles. If I put the car in (1) and then let it shift on its own I could get a better second gear scratch and a better pull when I shift. I'm sure Ive lost some compression from age, but I havent checked. I havent raced a 2000 or higher, but I forsee the same results. I would take you on. Even with my 175,000 miles on it. Oh yeah, I also have had mine to about 140 on my way home on highway '70 in saint louis, mo.

buickman69 said:
From personal experience, I beg to differ that the '97s are faster. My '01 STS "bone stock" with 40,000 miles ran 14.90 @ 93MPH and my buddies '97 STS 300hp ran 15.22 @ 91 MPH with 55,000 miles on it "bone stock" and he IS a experienced drag racer like myself.

That's all I can tell ya from personal experience. Got another buddy with a '97 300hp STS that won't run me cause he's heard about mine. :D

Mine shuts off @ 128MPH according to the odo but my buddy say's he has had his '97 to 140 and let out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, you should always leave it in 1st to run it and let the computer shift it. He and I both run ours that way. That night we had a pretty good headwind holding us back, I just know it'll run in the 80s. Brand new (tight engine) it ran 15.03 @ 94 then almost 40,000 miles later it dropped 1 MPH and picked up over 1 tenth, but the headwind didn't help much either.

As far as top end they cut me back.

If your car has 175,000 miles on it then I need to talk to you. You had any problems with it?? Trans, engine, electrical, waterpump, starter, etc????

I hope and pray I can get a liitle over 200,000 outta mine which will be about 5 more years or less.

If ya ever get out this way drop me a line, i'd like to run ya.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
elwesso said:
Hi Snipes,

I just went out and looked on the door. It specifies H rates tires. I never thought to look at that before purchasing the car. I have learned a lot in the last week.

Jon

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
buickman69 said:
Yes, you should always leave it in 1st to run it and let the computer shift it. He and I both run ours that way. That night we had a pretty good headwind holding us back, I just know it'll run in the 80s. Brand new (tight engine) it ran 15.03 @ 94 then almost 40,000 miles later it dropped 1 MPH and picked up over 1 tenth, but the headwind didn't help much either.

If your car has 175,000 miles on it then I need to talk to you. You had any problems with it?? Trans, engine, electrical, waterpump, starter, etc????

I hope and pray I can get a liitle over 200,000 outta mine which will be about 5 more years or less.

Hi,

I would not be too concerned about 200,000 miles. I have been looking at 96-98 STS for a few months now and found a whole bunch of them with 250000-300000 miles. They still ran great. I don't know how much work was done, but it appeared that they just keep on going.

My old car was a 92 Lumina Euro. It still runs like new and has just turned 200000 miles. It is rusting, but runs great every day.
Jon

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, parts I have replaced...let me see...ummm, knock sensor went bad, as well as the brake master cylinder sensor. I have very worn original struts that need to be replaced. The car doesnt smoke, grind, lag, start hard, idle rough, or anything else. The car is a gem. I noticed the tensioner pulley is feeling a bit looser than I like. I guess at about 200K I will replace that. I have had NO other problems than that. The interior is in wonderful shape, the car has slight hail damage on the roof and deck lid. The car drives perfectly straight with no shimmy or creaks or grinding noises. I keep the car under close watch and I would know if there was a problem.

You dont have much to worry about if you ask me. These cars are the best GM has to offer, and they show it well. No offense to anyone, but Ive seen how a Towncar drive with this many miles (and its not pretty). Hope this help man, if you want to know more let me know. Of course Im always up for a good run. I proudly added another 99' Stang to my book of shame earlier today. He didn't stand a chance.

buickman69 said:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Purplewgn2000