Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me what a reasonable fuel range would be for my ETC? I reset the trip odometer when I filled it, and it's got 260km on it, with a 1/4 tank left. This seems a bit low to me, and the fuel computer says I should be able to go another 220km, but I have a hard time believing it.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Is there a "used fuel" thingy in your trip computer ? I rely on it .Before using it I never used to believe it at all

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I think most cars are designed to get between 200 and 300 miles per tank depending on how they are driven.
Not sure how that turns into kilometers, you know us backward Americans and our goofy measuring systems.

Most of the cars I have had in recent memory get somewhere in that range unless I do a lot of city driving.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
i get something like ~350 to the tank in my '94 sts

i think it has an 18 gallon tank

but really, it depends a lot upon what type of driving you are doing. on the freeway on a full tank, my meter thingy will say something like 400miles

if i do a lot of city driving after filling up, its more like 270

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
I think you have an 18 gal. tank. Multiplying average MPG by 18 should give you your range on a full tank.

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
21 Posts
I get anywhere from 280miles (450KM) with 1/2 city 1/2 highway.

if I really take it easy on her and get long trips, I can get 380+miles, which is over 600km. Also remember, on my SLS at least ('98 model) I only use 15 gallons before refilling. The rest is reserve and I never hit it.

If driven hard and strictly city, these cars are gas guzzlers. On the highway with easy driving, you can get 27+MPG easy.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I do not let my car go more than 300 miles prior to filling up--on a trip. Normally, I am a nut and fill it up almost every night. In the winter, that keeps condensation down to a min.

You asked: "How far should I be able to go on a tank?" Don't worry. Car will stop shortly after gas is gone.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with it; the tank was almost empty when I filled it this morning, and there were only 330km on the trip. Oxygen sensor time, maybe?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
A bad Fuel Pressure Regulator is another possibility I have seen posted here. I am also chasing the low mileage gremlin on my 99.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A bad Fuel Pressure Regulator is another possibility I have seen posted here. I am also chasing the low mileage gremlin on my 99.
Where do I find it, and how do I check if it's bad? Are there any other symptoms besides bad mileage?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
Tech Tips section has a "how To" check for a faulty FPR. Very easy. Symptoms are poor fuel mileage and hard hot starts.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I do not let my car go more than 300 miles prior to filling up--on a trip. Normally, I am a nut and fill it up almost every night. In the winter, that keeps condensation down to a min.

You asked: "How far should I be able to go on a tank?" Don't worry. Car will stop shortly after gas is gone.
:yeah: Usually the needle points to "E" first.

There must be an underlying question. You really can't base mileage on tank capacity (range) per se. You have to compute miles driven along with the amount of gas you have to replace. Even that is not accurate. As mentioned, temp affects volume. Speed and consistency are factors also. Best you can do is average your consumption.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts