Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can you go safely while the Check Oil Level is on? it came on today but it needs a change anyway. Can my fiance drive it around tomorrow for about 50 miles during the day? It's already been 50 today so 100 miles total approximately.

She won't go get it changed by herself, too many bad rip off experiences apparently and I did not get out of work in time to take the car in. And there's not a drop of oil in the shed anywhere, i cannot believe it. :rant2: I'd give her the Chrysler for the day but she's a Nanny and needs the back seat. My Seville has TWO car seats in it now!! ...ending off topic rant.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
How far can you go safely while the Check Oil Level is on? it came on today but it needs a change anyway. Can my fiance drive it around tomorrow for about 50 miles during the day? It's already been 50 today so 100 miles total approximately.

She won't go get it changed by herself, too many bad rip off experiences apparently and I did not get out of work in time to take the car in. And there's not a drop of oil in the shed anywhere, i cannot believe it. :rant2: I'd give her the Chrysler for the day but she's a Nanny and needs the back seat. My Seville has TWO car seats in it now!! ...ending off topic rant.

Thanks. :)
When the engine freezes from lack of oil, somebody will be ticked that somebody failed to put a quart or two of oil in (if it needed it). I would normally tell you how much to add, but the connection between your dipstick and my crystal ball is a little cloudy. CHECK THE STICK, DIP, ER, DIPSTICK.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
The engine is no where near any danger when the check oil level message comes on. It still has 5.5 qts in the sump. The Guru once said that they ran them on dyno's with as little as 3 - 4 qts.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
The engine is no where near any danger when the check oil level message comes on. It still has 5.5 qts in the sump. The Guru once said that they ran them on dyno's with as little as 3 - 4 qts.
I guess I had heard that, but I am ultra conservative on checking oil. Then there was the time my wife called me from 20 miles away and told me the car was on fire. My response was: "Call the fire dept; don't call me."

I try to get people to make their own decisions rather then have them flounder.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Then there was the time my wife called me from 20 miles away and told me the car was on fire. My response was: "Call the fire dept; don't call me."
Now there's an entire glass of milk on both the coffee table and the floor... good lord that made my night...

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
Our 'Guru' once explained, IIRC, there were basically two factors involved in the "extra" oil capacity (7.5 qts. vs 5 qts.) of the Northstar.

1] It was necessary to have "extra" oil on hand as the high performance Northstar was designed to use oil. Use oil, not burn it.

2] Under extreme driving conditions, as on a skid pad or racetrack, centrifugal forces demanded additional oil for safety's sake.

You can safely drive around town all day on five (or even less) quarts of oil. It's not recommended, of course.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the good input. We are up early today and I am going to Wally World to get a quart of oil. I've never seen a female worry so much about a quart of oil!! I guess its a good thing. But it's good to know that in a worst case scenario we could safely go a bit farther.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
2] Under extreme driving conditions, as on a skid pad or racetrack, centrifugal forces demanded additional oil for safety's sake.
Give that man a cigar. The reason for 7.5 qts is so that at a 1g lateral force at WOT, the oil will not slosh to one side and the pump pick up will not become uncovered and suck air. So if the light is on, don't take a cloverleaf entrance ramp at WOT. It is just like any other engine except that it was designed as a high performance engine and expected to be driven that way so they built in a 2 - 3 qt safety factor.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Thanks for the good input. We are up early today and I am going to Wally World to get a quart of oil. I've never seen a female worry so much about a quart of oil!! I guess its a good thing. But it's good to know that in a worst case scenario we could safely go a bit farther.
Dude!!! Its not good that your WIFE is more concerned about this then you are!

I dont care WHAT ANYONE says, guru or otherwise, Im with Z06 on this one... If the oil level message is ON, at least check the dipstick... Im not sure why you even had to ask this one. I thought you were in an emergency and couldnt get to the car to check it yourself or something.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Our 'Guru' once explained, IIRC, there were basically two factors involved in the "extra" oil capacity (7.5 qts. vs 5 qts.) of the Northstar.

1] It was necessary to have "extra" oil on hand as the high performance Northstar was designed to use oil. Use oil, not burn it.

Regards,
Warren
Is that why so many people complain about piston slap even when using tier one gasoline. What is burning and leaving the thick oily carbon deposits.

Why is everyone encouraged to do WOT if not to blow the carbon from the burnt oil out?

I would really, really, really like to know!
Because Cadillac owners are the only people in the world that say the N* doesn't burnt oil?
??

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Is that why so many people complain about piston slap even when using tier one gasoline. What is burning and leaving the thick oily carbon deposits.

Why is everyone encouraged to do WOT if not to blow the carbon from the burnt oil out?

I would really, really, really like to know!
Because Cadillac owners are the only people in the world that say the N* doesn't burnt oil?
??
Last time I checked pretty much every engine burns some oil. Nor have I seen anyone on this forum even attempt to claim that the northstar doesn't burn oil. Frankly, I wish more engines were designed to consume as much oil as the northstar does, not only does it help to better lubricate the engine.. it also (hopefully) forces owners to be more cognizant about checking their oil.

What I'd like to know is why are you the only one who insists on using large green font. :confused:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Because I can!

I also have a 21 year old Mercedes 190E 2.3 16V Cosworth with a Mercedes high mileage award (over 150,000 miles) that I use 5W30 in and it does not use or leak any oil between oil changes.

Similarly the SHO I had with the Yamaha engine that puts out more horsepower per cubic inch than the N* would not use any oil between oil changes.

I also had a Buick Reatta with the 3800 engine with 205,000 miles that would not use burn or leak any oil between oil changes.
All used 5W30.

I respectfully suggest that Cadillac got it wrong, badly wrong and has not bothered to get it right yet.

If GM was stupid enough to match Chrysler's Lifetime Power Train Warranty they would go bankrupt on N* engines

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
oh my... I'm not even going to bother since this is typically where my "south jersey attitude" comes out... hopefully someone else will handle this one...

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I don't think it needs handling. All of his comparisons are apples-to-oranges.

I think it's always laughable how some people point to some measured amount of oil consumption and say "bad". I say "good". My first Northstar car is still running wonderfully at 160,000 miles. I'm sure I'll get the same out of my current one. If person A can get 150,000 miles on no oil top-offs, and person B can get 150,000 miles topping off a quart or two every change, so what? There's no need to turn it into a pissing contest.

And by the way, 150,000 miles does NOT deserve a high mileage award. Any good engine should be able to easily see 150,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts