Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if anyone can explain how the power window switches work with the momentary contact for manual control and the one touch for full open and full close. What shuts off the window motor once it reaches top or closed to prevent the motor from keeping running?

I ask because I believe that would be a great "style" switch for operation of electric cutouts. does anyone think it may be as simple as getting a spare window control? probably not. it would make for convelient full open / full close without extra strain on the cutout motors if it has auto shutoff in either direction with also having the ability for momentary control for any intermediate position.
:confused:

what tells the motor to shut off? is it current feedback, or based upon a surge in current when the window bottoms and motor stalls? I am getting the feeling this may not work.. could get a spare passenger wondow control and test it..?..

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
728 Posts
Just curious if anyone can explain how the power window switches work with the momentary contact for manual control and the one touch for full open and full close. What shuts off the window motor once it reaches top or closed to prevent the motor from keeping running?

I ask because I believe that would be a great "style" switch for operation of electric cutouts. does anyone think it may be as simple as getting a spare window control? probably not. it would make for convelient full open / full close without extra strain on the cutout motors if it has auto shutoff in either direction with also having the ability for momentary control for any intermediate position.
:confused:

what tells the motor to shut off? is it current feedback, or based upon a surge in current when the window bottoms and motor stalls? I am getting the feeling this may not work.. could get a spare passenger wondow control and test it..?..
The owners manual mentions a learn procedure. I don't recall when you would need to do it, but basically moving the window all the way up and all the way down a few times may be necessary if the one-touch isn't working properly.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V
250 Posts
There is indeed a learning process -- you just hold the switch in the "up" position for a few seconds after the window is all the way up. To me, this suggests that there is some sort of position sensor that something "remembers". Couldn't tell you what or where.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts