Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS, thunder grey chromaflair
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a first time Caddy owner, 2012, CTS premium. First time American car owner, if I don't count the 1975 Ford Pinto. So far, reasonably happy.

Couldn't help but comparing ... my last two cars were MB e-class.

- first minor complaint is the efficient use of interior space. The MB had storage space under each front seats, both the glove compartment and the center console had a bit more room than the CTS. In addition to the door pockets (which both cars have), The e-class also had a sunglass drawer. After the purchase of the CTS, I immediate found that I couldn't transfer half of the content from inside of the e-class to the CTS. The MB had slightly more leg room for the backseat as well ...

- given that I am the 3rd owner of this CTS, I am not sure if my next gripe is valid. I had owned an audi, a bmw 3-series, 3 MBs before, The sound of the door close on this CTS feels like the doors are kind of flimsy compare to all of the German cars I owned previously. This CTS is supposed to cost about 55 grand when new. Thought it ought to feel a little more substantial.

What do you all think? Or, should I just shut up and enjoy driving it :canttalk::suspense:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
Comparing my cts to an audi q5 door sounds are actually harsher more metallic type on the audi. But bugger car possibly just heavier duty latches.

Back seat room should of been expected since the 2nd gen was always slightly smaller than the e

Storage Idk. The center console is small but the Benz and beamer have huge ones which to me make the seats to narrow. I think a fair compromise.

The size difference may also explain the other compartments you mentioned. Or cadillac is trying to tell people you don't need to carry around so much junk.

Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 (AWD)
118 Posts
Mine makes a solid thunk sound compared to all the previous cars I've ever owned. The worst being the Sidekick with my Impreza close second.

All the other cars had extra sounds, ta-clunk! for example, as the door panel hobbled around loosely. The CTS has no such problems, trunk is solid as well. We still are getting used to it, as oftentimes we'll slam the doors and trunk needlessly hard.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.... cadillac is trying to tell people you don't need to carry around so much junk.

Enjoy the ride
Haha, :yup:, I appreciate your perspective! With regards to the door sound, to tell you the truth, I think I got the car for a few grands lower than the average price on the premium trim. I have since been trying to figure out why the Rover dealership is willing to sell the car at that price. Carfax has a clean record. Factory b2b warranty still has 1.5 year left. It's a puzzle hope I will never find out. :)

·
Registered
08 CTS blk/blk
383 Posts
Don't trust Car Fax I've been burned twice Be VERY VERY careful

Enjoy the CTS and welcome to America! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't trust Car Fax I've been burned twice Be VERY VERY careful

Enjoy the CTS and welcome to America! :)
Thank you, Joe! I presume the remaining factory warranty is a reasonably good assurance. If CarFax cannot be trusted, not sure what else I can count on.

·
Premium Member
'11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
1,547 Posts
My three cars prior to my 2008 CTS and 2011 CTS were a 1999 MB E-350, a 2004 MB E-55, and a 2006 MB CLS500. I never noticed any difference worth mentioning in the sound of the doors closing. All seem pretty solid to me, but OTOH I tend to obsess about more important things, such as handling.

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
I actually went from a 2013 E-Class to a 2014 CTS Coupe. I didn't notice much of a difference in the doors, both seem very solid to me. I agree wit the lack of storage, the Caddy could use a little more, but I thought the E-class actually went a little too far, I wasn't living in my car. My only gripe, is the trunk lid, the Caddy less solid; granted the Mercedes was self-closing which made it less noticeable. I have a Premium coupe and would have expected the same. Overall I still love my CTS Coupe, wouldn't consider going back.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,176 Posts
My wife has an A6 and I just bought my dad an A4. Virtually no difference with door sound that makes anyone notice.

As for interior storage, I do like the under-the-seat-storage bins. Our cars don't have much interior storage, I agree.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,339 Posts
Thank you, Joe! I presume the remaining factory warranty is a reasonably good assurance. If CarFax cannot be trusted, not sure what else I can count on.
A Carfax can tell you about a problem that is disclosed, and you know to walk away from the deal, like an accident, or many repeated reports of "checked xxx". There are things that are not reported, and it is your responsibility to thoroughly investigate if the car has issues. Get a mechanic to go over the car for you. Ask for the complete service history. Do whatever investigation you feel comfortable with, just remember, a Carfax should only be trusted as a way to eliminate a car from contention in your purchasing decision. Just because it wasn't reported doesn't make it clean. That investigation will tell you the most. Trusting a clean Carfax alone is not a good idea. Walking away from a bad Carfax is a good idea.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A Carfax can tell you about a problem that is disclosed, and you know to walk away from the deal, like an accident, or many repeated reports of "checked xxx". There are things that are not reported, and it is your responsibility to thoroughly investigate if the car has issues. Get a mechanic to go over the car for you. Ask for the complete service history. Do whatever investigation you feel comfortable with, just remember, a Carfax should only be trusted as a way to eliminate a car from contention in your purchasing decision. Just because it wasn't reported doesn't make it clean. That investigation will tell you the most. Trusting a clean Carfax alone is not a good idea. Walking away from a bad Carfax is a good idea.
Understood. Thank you for the explanation! Are auto shops legally required to report to some governing body that they are working on a car? Just curious how it works. Thanks!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,176 Posts
I agree with Hurstgn completely. No, no one is required to report to Carfax. Carfax is a for profit company.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Hurstgn completely. No, no one is required to report to Carfax. Carfax is a for profit company.
hmmm ... in that case, their report doesn't mean much at all.

·
Registered
14,176 Posts
Correct. It is merely an additional tool to use in the used car hunt.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,339 Posts
Not really, it means A LOT when it says a car has been wrecked, or had way too much service. Let's me stop looking at that car immediately and save time to look elsewhere. It's a tool to sort out negatives only, and to me, that is valuable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really, it means A LOT when it says a car has been wrecked, or had way too much service. Let's me stop looking at that car immediately and save time to look elsewhere. It's a tool to sort out negatives only, and to me, that is valuable.
that's true! thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts