Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS w/ performance pkg, 18" wheel pkg
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what the monitors are measuring and how. For both engine and trans.

Thanks,

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's a program that adjusts itself to different driving parameters and it doesn't have any sensors at all. Is that right?

So in reality, the car doesn't know the condition of the oil at all.

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
So it's a program that adjusts itself to different driving parameters and it doesn't have any sensors at all. Is that right?

So in reality, the car doesn't know the condition of the oil at all.
Exactly - it's only better than you and I at keeping track of when the oil was last changed, how many miles, what kind of driving, etc.

It is very useful.

-GT

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
there is no car with an actual sensor than know the condition of the oil. What I did is at 50% of the engine oil life left, I analysed the oil. I was way too early for an oil change so I tested again at 30% and also when the change oil soon light came on. Since then, I only change my oil when the change oil light comes on. (mobil 5w30 gm 4718m specs).

Yesterday, I did an oil change and dont ask me why, no one had 5w30 pennzoil or mobil so I had to buy 10w30 but the only thing left was mobil 10w30. I'll run it until I reach 40% and I'll send it to the lab to get it analysed. Thats the only way to really know whats in the oil.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly - it's only better than you and I at keeping track of when the oil was last changed, how many miles, what kind of driving, etc.

It is very useful.

-GT
I guess. It doesn't account for the fact the quality oil from one brand to the next varies a great deal. Some oils will last much longer than others. So I suppose this is based on Mobil One's baseline product? Cause Mobil One also has the 15,000 mile product. But there is no way the monitor will go that far. Or maybe it will. It's looking like we'll get about 8000 on ours which is probably 60% hwy, maybe more.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
I guess. It doesn't account for the fact the quality oil from one brand to the next varies a great deal. Some oils will last much longer than others. So I suppose this is based on Mobil One's baseline product? Cause Mobil One also has the 15,000 mile product. But there is no way the monitor will go that far. Or maybe it will. It's looking like we'll get about 8000 on ours which is probably 60% hwy, maybe more.
its base per analysis that engineers did. You can use 5w30 10w30 0w30 what ever you want as long as it meets the specs of your car.

3.6l vvt requires gm 4718m spec oil. You hve to check on the oil bottle to see if the oil meets or exceed this spec. If its not written, take another one.

I know Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum meet the spec. The other one, I dont know and I'm fully satisfied with Mobil or Pennzoil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts