Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
realy dirty:

go to car wash, pre-soak car, then get the foaming brush and use the brush, then high pressure rinse..... of course before the rise I use the tire cleaner, and once in a while spray the engine down with the degreaser, then rise that....

if it isn't as dirty, I use the pre-soak, then high pressure soap to wash car, then rise off with high pressure water to rinse....

Then I have one of those special magic drying towel I use to dry the towel...if I have time I will use Mequires quik detail on the whole car, clean the windows, apply vinyl cleaner/conditioner on the vinyl roof, clean up the enigne bay, and apply my trim cleaner stuff on all rubber seals and stuff.....

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
There are a few good posts about this in the appearance and detailing forum. Check them and see if they give you any ideas :D

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I stay away from those brushes. Usually, Bubba just scrubbed all the grit and mud off of his International Harvester truck with it. I've seen many a minivan where Skip or Buffy completely runied the finish with one of those brushes.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
My cars have all won trophies. I pride myself on how they look. Here's my formula.

I use a wash mitt, and I use "No. 7" Car wash, in a bucket of warm water. I work down starting with the top. I do the wheels/tires last. I soap up a section at a time, and then rinse with a hose with a sprayer on the end, usually set at "medium mist" ~ I ONLY dry using my lawn & leaf blower, on "High" ~ again working from the roof down. I never use towels (lint) or chamois (tiring long process of wipe & squeeze). With the blower, nothing touches the car but air.
Whitewalls? I use Westleys Bleach White & a stiff brush. Brake dust? I use Eagle-one Wheel Cleaning Kit # A.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I think im gonna do the leaf blower thing..... And that will get all taht annoying water from around the mirrors and other cracks......

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Sandy wins! That's the best way to do it.....My truck is 105' long and that's how I wash it. ( It usually takes about 5 hours to wash and dry 1 unit at a time.....Also, Never, Ever go to a coin op car wash the harsh soaps and cheap brushes are HELL on your finish! ( Strictly for amatures )

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use a 2 gallon bucket and add 1/2 cup of clear (non sudsing) ammonia. I start at the top and work down. I do the rims and tires last. The car is sparkling clean! I dry with terry cloth. I apply a coat of Meguiar's cleaner/wax liquid at least once a week. With every bottle, when it hits the 1/2 full area I fill it with distilled water, shake and use it weekly till it's gone and start over with a new bottle. My finish is like glass and smooth as a baby's butt. I never rub the cleaner wax in circles, I go back and forth across the finish and I rub it off in the opposite direction. I have also used Murphy's oil soap. This will leave a nice shine on the car but will film the windows and you'll have to clean them good. I told the guy who touches up my vehicles I did this so he'd know what was on the finish and he said it was one of the best things to use. Paint needs a little oil to be conditioned. I use turtle wax "Leather" on the leather and just dust the rest. Nappa aerosol window cleaner for the windows. I also use tire black on the tires. I spray it on a rag and wipe the tires. I don't want that oily look.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I use a similar routine as Sandy with Zaino Z7, a white cotton hand towel for washing, a Toro electric leaf blower to dry, and a white cotton bath towel for touch-ups. I find that I need a few coats of Zaino Z2 or Z5 polish in order for the leaf blower to do a good job. During the winter, I run the hose from the laundry sink (just inside from the garage) and use warm water whenever the weather is above freezing. I started doing this routine on my black vette, but with black it looks perfect for only about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I Wash may car with Meguire’s crystal car wash, and use eagle one all “wheel and tire cleaner” on my wheels, i work from the top and go back and do the bottom..... Then i dry the car with the "absorber" which is great on my car because it has so much wax that the thing just glides through my finish...i would say that i wax my car every month with mothers California gold wax.... and use microfiber towels to wipe the wax off...works great...and i sometimes use eagle one "wax as you dry" prolongs the wax protection in between actual waxing not to mention a nice shine. Anyway I finish off by using an air compressor on all the nooks n’ crannies and then drive the car around my block like i stole it...I then go back and wipe what ever i didn’t get with my blower...and then i watch and stare at the car for 3 hours and then start to masterba...okay im kidding about that last part but you get the picture!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Bee careful with an air compressor - those things can literally blow off nameplates & small emblems. Too high pressure concentrated in one small area.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sandy said:
Bee careful with an air compressor - those things can literally blow off nameplates & small emblems. Too high pressure concentrated in one small area.
its only set to 65mph...wont blow anything off but water at that level

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
There's more of a chance of emblems coming off when you're washing a car then when you're blowing it off areas with an air compressor.

I usually just wash them later in the day or in the shade and let them dry off by themselves. If I want them dried off faster for some reason I'll use a towel or chammy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Elvis said:
I stay away from those brushes. Usually, Bubba just scrubbed all the grit and mud off of his International Harvester truck with it. I've seen many a minivan where Skip or Buffy completely runied the finish with one of those brushes.
Elvis:
Where in Texas are those cars buried. I know it is along I-40, but I forgot where. Somewhere near Amarillo?

·
Registered
206 Posts
WATERLESS!!!!!!!!!!! Have'nt used a hose and water for two years...hard to believe I know....look at the PICs they speak for themselves!

·
Registered
206 Posts
C5..........I use to have the registration plate "C5 KLLR"

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
156MPH said:
C5..........I use to have the registration plate "C5 KLLR"

I have had 4 caddys and 11 Vettes, the only Caddy that I have seen so far that will "kill a C5" has not been built yet, and that is the CTS-V, and that will only "kill" a standard Vette and not a Z06, although we have a lot of plans for our new CTS-V. ;) :) :)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If you do it waterless, then what do you do??? Just wipe it off with a damp towel or something?

·
Banned
701 Posts
Sandy said:
My cars have all won trophies. I pride myself on how they look. Here's my formula.

I use a wash mitt, and I use "No. 7" Car wash, in a bucket of warm water. I work down starting with the top. I do the wheels/tires last. I soap up a section at a time, and then rinse with a hose with a sprayer on the end, usually set at "medium mist" ~ I ONLY dry using my lawn & leaf blower, on "High" ~ again working from the roof down. I never use towels (lint) or chamois (tiring long process of wipe & squeeze). With the blower, nothing touches the car but air.
Whitewalls? I use Westleys Bleach White & a stiff brush. Brake dust? I use Eagle-one Wheel Cleaning Kit # A.

I wash similar to Sandy,

On the rag top I only wash it once every 4-5 washes. I use 200MPH Duct tape to get the lint off when needed. Always wash from the top down. You don't want to wash dirt/grime over an area that is already clean. I must admit that I use different car wash liquids but always buy in bulk so it lasts a few weeks. I use Eagle One 20/20 on the windows because of the Limo tint. There is no Ammonia in it and it works pretty good. I also use Eagle One A to Z on the wheels and STP aerosol on the tires.

Thanks to Sandy for the leaf blower trick(got some rep points on that one) and I'll try it next wash. I use the same method on my other buggys less the rag top and it works for me.

Stay Away from the foamy brushes at the self serve car wash as previously mentioned. I use them to wash the cow manure off the trailer when I haul cattle. Unless you like someone elses crap on your car, wash it at home or pay the bucks to get it detailed or washed by a Professional.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
16 Participants
Mikethegreeat