Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you buy a new Cadillac you get an OnStar package for a year. Then they want you to pay a significant amout to renew. How many people pay to renew the package deals they have? What about the integrated OnStar phone - how many people use that? I have never used my OnStar - would only ever use it in an emergency, so I haven't paid for any additional service. I'm just wondering how many people here use OnStar and for what...

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
I just got On Star with my new Silverado, and I think that I may keep it active after the 1st free year is up. Theft deterant would be the biggest attraction to On Star. They can locate a stolen vehicle and contact the police for very quick recovery and possible capture of the thief. The intergrated phone phone might be handy in case of personal celluar problems(dead battery,no signal,no phone) for all sorts of situations. Lojack is good, but not something I would buy for my area. The truck has an alarm, but thiefs can get around that with little problems. On Star is still new, and less likely to be known by most idiots that steal cars. I have only used it once or twice, but I'm glad its there.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
We added minutes to our phone....... YOu dont have to renew the whole service to get phone minutes...... Its cool, cuz you dont have to press any buttons........

Id recommend using that...... And the one time we had to use the key lockout thing it didnt work....... :(

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
My parents got it and I like the fact that if you have an accident, it first tries to contact you, then they send an ambulance. They are going to renew the "safe and sound" package, not the full package, that runs 700 dollars, too much!

Regarding theft, what educated thieves are doing now is driving it into a steel-boxed truck, and the signal is lost! Or I heard they simply cover the antenna with tin foil, and the signal is worthless. It would be good if you get lost, I suppose.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Or you could unscrew the antenna...... :D

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I talked to my... uhh "associate" who used to steal cars until about 3 months ago when he got cought, and he didn't know anything about onstar or the stolen car location feature. He doesn't steal cars anymore as far as I know, so don't get up on me for telling him about it.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
davesdeville said:
I talked to my... uhh "associate" who used to steal cars until about 3 months ago when he got cought, and he didn't know anything about onstar or the stolen car location feature. He doesn't steal cars anymore as far as I know, so don't get up on me for telling him about it.
Well, if they watch TV or listen to the radio, they know now! OnStar is advertising this and other safety features like mad.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,026 Posts
I use OnStar constantly. I go out of town alot and I get directions wherever I need to go. I can give them a specific address, name of a business, the closest ATM, gas station, McDonalds, shopping center, 5 star restaurant--anything I need! Their database is vast and they tell me they update monthly. Even locally in my own town, as long as I have an address, I can get anywhere! I've even had them get me excellent tickets for sold out concerts and front row seats to baseball games. I couldn't imagine driving another vehicle without OnStar. It's like having a guardian angel with you at all times. If you have a question about anything, the advisor is there 24/7. I've even called to get an answer for a trivia question that no one could remember. One of the advisors knew! They are the nicest, friendliest people that you will ever deal with and they will stay on the line with you as long as you need them, especially when you're lost and they are guiding you. I've only had one problem with them. One time when I was in San Francisco, my car popped up on their screen in the middle of the bay! I think it was the network of cable car wires that was interfering with the signal.

Max

1 - 9 of 9 Posts