Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already locked myself out of the vehicle with the %$^#@ thing running? I've had the car for a week so I've learned my lesson, but is there a way to shut this off?

FYI: 1995 STS w/ 82K miles and runs very nice for $4788. I'm very pleased to have picked up such a beautiful car for so cheap, but it makes me think I'll never buy one new.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,324 Posts
The owners manual should explain what the options are and how to set them.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
csbacchus said:
I've already locked myself out of the vehicle with the %$^#@ thing running? I've had the car for a week so I've learned my lesson, but is there a way to shut this off?

FYI: 1995 STS w/ 82K miles and runs very nice for $4788. I'm very pleased to have picked up such a beautiful car for so cheap, but it makes me think I'll never buy one new.
GM was really slow to initiate the "moron" rule concerning door locks. I am not suggesting that you or anyone else, including myself, is a moron because he or she has locked themselves out of their own car. Most manufacturers now days have implimented the "moron" rule that does not allow the driver door to lock until it is placed into gear, or manually set.

You can bypass the driver door lock feature from the master switch, but it will "never" lock unless it is set with a key. Not a very good option.

By the way, congratulations on your good buy. Happy Motoring!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surely, there is a way to disable the auto-lock feature. I have an FSM on its way. If its in there, I will post it.

As to moron, the moron is the engineer that decided it was a good idea to lock it during the initial turning of the key. Obviously, this was eventually changed on all manufacturers to lock when the car is placed in gear or when it has obtained a speed of 10-15mph. I have a hard time believing there is not a way to disable this. The new Acura TL gives you options on when it locks from the interior control buttons. My STS is 10 yrs older than our TL , but I find it hard to believe there isn't a some obscure method to disabling this.

There are many times during tune-ups, repairs, or simply forgetting something and stepping out before one shuts the door which this becomes cumbersome. I am now trying to get in the habit of hitting the auto-down power window or sunroof when starting the car just in case. However, when it gets cold, this is not going to be an enjoyable option. The locksmith used some very, very simple techniques to get me in. I will use these in the future if it happens again. Unfortunately, this is not a difficult vehicle to break in to. I'm not sure you could hot-wire and steal it, but getting in and removing personal possessions would be a piece of cake.

"By the way, congratulations on your good buy. Happy Motoring!!"
Thanks for the congrats. This truly is a stunning car for the money. If I can't change certain features, I will change my habits. I really love sliding into the driver's seat and cruising down the road. For the money, I just couldn't bring myself to drive an econo-box when such a fine automobile could be had for the same money. Sure it costs more to repair, but if taken care of and inspected first, only regular maint./repairs should be required. The FSM should be worth its weight in gold. I feel blessed every time I get in. This is truly a "best kept secret" in used car buys. I would rather drive my STS than the wife's TL, my Element (which is for sale), or the '03 vette, which we traded for the TL (by a slim margin, but the ride is so much nicer and without a limiter the STS could probably hit the 150 mph I hit in the 03 AE, I know its not legal, safe, etc., but come on it was a vette, you have to see what it can do).

I'm still in disbelief. How can such a fine car with so much power and luxury depreciate so quickly. I mean $47K vs. an Accord of what $20K sell for the same amount. I am a network engineer/consultant so I drive alot and this really fits the bill. The downside is people think you are loaded and a show-off when they see you in a Caddy. Oh well, I just :) and praise the car when asked. I only hope I can buy another used Caddy in 3-4 years for the same money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts