Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 seville and have no key fob.I want to know if there is a way to tell if you have keyless entry.If so how and where would I look.:helpless:

Second if I do how would I go about getting a fob.If I find a caddy in a junk yard (seville or same year) would I be able to take that fob and program it to my car.I know you need a certin number to get it to work but if its the same year or modle I would think it would work.:cool2:

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Look to the options listing for your car, in there will be a manufactures code. The listing is probably in the trunk area, under the trunk lid and or the spare cover.
I'll venture to say that when you discover that it may have been KE and you have no programed FOB, you'll decide that the key on your key chain that opens the door is good enough. Otherwise, just go to your local stereo installer and have a security system installed there. Cheaper in the long run.
lry99eldo

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
Easiest way would be to look up the option codes listed on a label in your trunk. It lists paint codes and all the options in the car. On my 93 Eldo, it is stuck to the bottom of my spare wheel cover. But you would need a Factory Service manual to decode those codes.

On my 93 Eldo the keyless entry module is attached in the trunk, behind the rear seat on the drivers side. It is a plastic box with a connector and a small metal antenna (about coat-hanger wire diameter). Your Seville might be similar.

Yes, if you have one and get the right type of transmitter FOB, you can program it to work in your car. It is actually the receiver in the car which learns the FOBs ID.

This process is documented in the Factory Service Manual (which I recommend you get if you are serious about working on your own car). You might also find the procedure on this forum (search the archived messages or FAQs) or just Google for it.

FOBs show up regularely on eBay (but make sure to get the right one). Mine is:
ALPS ELECTRIC CO. LTD
DOC/MDC: 218 K903
MODEL/FCC ID: ABO0702 T
P/N: 10269729

I suspect yours will be the same (but I'm not 100% sure).

Peteski

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh, thats my other problem,Previous owner lost door lock key.Didnt know what I was talking about with the key fob.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
RKE used to be RPO code AU0.
It does vary. If you can get me the last 8 of the VIN I can look at the RPOs and see if I can find RKE on your car.

Who lost their key for the door? You can call a GM dealer and they can look up the key code by the VIN and cut you a new key. Might cost you about 50 bucks but it might seem worth that much to me.

You'd need to have the right part number, not sure how much the transmitters are new. Sometimes the old used ones laying around are not much good anyway. Some of the older ones had a tendency to break solder joints inside the transmitter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ignorant previous owner of the car.He lost the keys.

I checked my trunk for the box and I have keyless entry.But here is my vin# anyway PU809196.

Thanks

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
They already purged that one as far as RPO information goes.
The dealer can still get you the keycode by the VIN however.
They have really cracked down on keycodes lately though so you'll have to take some ID and registration to the dealership.
Now they ask for the VIN, your name, vehicle license plate number, and state of registration.
There was some abuse of the system so it's a little harder to get the keycodes now.

HTH

·
Registered
88 CPE DV, 93 ELDO TOURING
168 Posts
The remote control unit is around $ 45. You may be able to tell by the little pigtail wire used for programming it hanging around near the trunk latch operating mechanism. A word of caution not mentioned in the programing instructions. The trunk MUST be CLOSED while programming or the trunk ajar alarm will block the programming mode. It took me several tries before I realized it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts