Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 ETC 2007 CTS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the EBTCM because of a C1243 code on my 1997 Eldorado. I have removed the four torax screws holding it to the BPMV and according to the service manual it should come apart by pulling it rearward, whatever that means. At any rate is says not to pry it apart and I just can't seem to budge it. Has anyone taken one of these apart? If so how did you do it? Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Under the rubber bushing on the front is another torax screw which mut be removed. The rubber bushing pulls right off. Ater removal seperation will be easy.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Yep, you have to loosen the 3 nuts that hold the ABS unit in the bracket, then lift it and remove the one in the middle, remove the Torx bolt and then gently pull them apart, be sure to pull it straight away.

·
Registered
1997 ETC 2007 CTS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I removed the fifth torx screw and then had no problem seperating it. I reread the service manual steps and it really isn't very specific about that fifth screw. it does say to remove the bracket from the vehicle but doesn't mention the torx screw behind the "mounting insulator".

Everything looks nice and clean inside the cavity, the ground tests fine, the connector isn't dammaged and I don't see any corosion anywhere either. I've cleaned everything up and will put it back together and hope that the C1243 code goes away. I don't see why all of a sudden I've got the code. I haven't driven the car in over two years, it's stored indoors, and before I replaced the LH wheel speed sensor a couple months ago (because of a C1257 code which you guys helped me isolate) I've always disconnected the battery before working on anything electrical and didn't have any codes concerning the EBTCM or BPMV. Except for the ground from the motor to the bell housing there isn't much I can check or test except visually inspect it and clean it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts