Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car crossed over 70k miles recently, and afaik the serpentine belt has not bee replaced. I was looking at this today and with the tight clearance I can't figure out which pulley is the tensioner.

This is a 2005 RWD Northstar.

Anyone done this can give me any hints?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
14 Posts
There is usually a diagram showing the path of the belt. Does it have an indicator? GM's usually have a tensioner release that takes a 1/2" square socket drive.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,328 Posts
I don't have the N* but I do have the shop manual for 2006 N*; it looks as you have two belts, one for the alternator and one for the a/c compressor/power steering/water pump. It looks a little crowded down there so you may need to review your skills before attempting. The tensioners have the square hole in them and rotate clockwise to loosen tension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a routing diagram under the hood? GM has been doing this for decades.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've seen it but don't remember where. In the morning I'll be doing some garage duty & will pop the hood. I need to check fluids and adjust tire pressures anyway. It's warmed up about 30 degrees!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks C&C. I didn't see it anywhere, but I didn't remove the engine covers.

I also checked my manual. That only has the V's belt routing, Go figure!

·
Registered
2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
548 Posts
Does anybody has removal and install instructions for AC/PS/water pump belt in N*? Maybe some manual pics as above.
Thanks.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
The pictures above above are indeed for the V8 4.6 Northstar.
To remove the belt in question simply untention that belts tentioner (number 2 in the 1st picture) as described in the description number 2.

·
Registered
2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
548 Posts
1BadCadSTS
Thanks. I see. Does any special tools required to untention this tentioner for both belts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts