Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 keyless entry unit, I was told it could be programmed to a 1989. There is a lot of info on setting the key fobs for newer cars, but I can't find anything for pre 1991, how do you set the keyless entry?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,101 Posts
Keyless Entry was first available on the 91 Cadillacs. It will not work on prior models since they did not have a Keyless Entry Module. You could get a module, wiring harness, and remotes and wire the system into your vehicle. Then it would work.

Max

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that the particular model was a Buick Reatta, that would be pretty important info. The keyless entry was offered in 1989, I was told that Cadillac and Buick share their keyless entry components.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,101 Posts
eldoeldo,

I'm not sure who you were talking to but they were mistaken. Keyless entry was not offered as an option until the 1991 models.

Max

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maximln said:
eldoeldo,

I'm not sure who you were talking to but they were mistaken. Keyless entry was not offered as an option until the 1991 models.

Max
I have a 1989 Buick Reatta, It does have keyless entry. I was given the key fob to a 1991 Caddy and told that it should work for the Buick. So, trust me that there was, in fact, keyless entry in 89. How do you program a 1991 key fob?

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,101 Posts
Sorry about that. I misunderstood you. That's strange that Buick came out with Keyless Entry in 89 and Cadillac didn't until 91. Chalk one up for Buick!

Max

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maximln said:
Sorry about that. I misunderstood you. That's strange that Buick came out with Keyless Entry in 89 and Cadillac didn't until 91. Chalk one up for Buick!

Max
Ya, it's tough to explain things over the internet sometimes, in conversation there is immediate feedback and you can explain things that you don't say very clearly, but with message boards all you can do is assume what you think somebody is saying. Reattas were pretty neat cars, they were like a retirement two seater. It's got automatically locking doors, keyless entry, and a touch screen computer in the center of the dash, that's pretty advanced for the 80s. I'm not sure how Buick was able to get keyless before Cadillac though, things usually filter down from there, like OnStar.

·
Registered
1992 Deville
15 Posts
Ya, it's tough to explain things over the internet sometimes, in conversation there is immediate feedback and you can explain things that you don't say very clearly, but with message boards all you can do is assume what you think somebody is saying. Reattas were pretty neat cars, they were like a retirement two seater. It's got automatically locking doors, keyless entry, and a touch screen computer in the center of the dash, that's pretty advanced for the 80s. I'm not sure how Buick was able to get keyless before Cadillac though, things usually filter down from there, like OnStar.
That's an interesting thread to follow. As I am reading this old post from almost 3 and a half years ago, I see that eldoeldo's questions was never answered. I have a 92 Deville and would like informarion on programing the keyless remote. I have only one remote. There is nowhere that says #1 or #2 on it. There are only three buttons--'lock, 'unlock', and 'trunk'. The part number is 25609144. I have changed batteries but it won't lock or unlock the car. When I open the car with the key, the security lamp flashes until I closed the door. One time, someone tried to break into the car and set off the alarm and was scared off. At least I know that part works. Is there a way to reprogram the remote without going to the dealer? The last time I went to a Cadillac dealer, I got thouroughly raped. Help?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts