Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Series 62
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My project I have been working on is the replacement of the water pump. I have been slowly working on this for about 5 months. The old water pump bearing was shot and leaking. I have not started the engine in that 5 month time frame. Part of this WP replacement calls for removing the oil filter bracket and then re installing to get to the WP removed and replace. The oil filter and assembly was also removed intact together by removing the 3 cap screws that hold the the assembly to the oil filter support bracket. When re-assembly of the oil filter support bracket, the manual calls out for filling with oil before the oil filter assembly is re installed. I did add some oil, but I cant be sure I added enough. I was told I could remove the distributor to turn the oil pump with a drill motor, but I am not sure where to find a tool that would fit on the end of the oil pump shaft. All tools I been seeing are different meaning male end and I need a tool with a female end. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
My engine was primed when it was built. But the builder told me to spin the starter with the plugs out until the oil light went out.

·
Registered
1964 Series 62
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff R, that sounds about what I could do. It was also mentioned I could put some marvel oil in each cylinder. I just wanted to be extra careful. Looking on YouTube on how to others use a tool for Chevy's look so easy. I thought I could find a tool for the end of the oil pump shaft.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Rich

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
When I started my newly rebuilt '70 472, I used an oil pump primer rod for a small block chevy and a drill. It worked fine. not sure if it will work with a 429. It may be worth it to get one and try it.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,080 Posts
Depends on the type of oil pump drive on the distributor gear tip. My Olds 455 engines use a 5/16" socket on a long extension. Some engines use a flat slot with a "screwdriver blade tip" on the distributor gear or vice versa.

In any case, you need to know the direction of proper rotation for the distributor - no sense in pumping it backwards.

This is a shot in the dark - Google "1964 cadillac 429 engine oil pump priming tool" and see what comes up.

·
Registered
73 LD Ragtop
40 Posts
you're overthinking it...
As stated above, just whip the plugs out and crank the engine over with the starter..
(if that)
There's no need for any oil on the piston top.

·
Registered
2009 DTS
32 Posts
I've heard arguments against pulling the plug method as much as I've heard it's fine to do it that way. My suggestion ( I've done it this way many times and it's cheap and easy )find a junk distributor tear it down and cut the shaft just under where the rotor attaches. Put the shaft in your drill and there's your tool. I've done this on Chevy , Ford , Jeep and International Harvester motors with great results and no issue's.
Good luck
Jeff

·
Registered
1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv
201 Posts
Just crank the engine with the coil wire disconnected. No need to remove/reinstall/hope you got it back in right the distributor!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts