Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After all the complaints about clunking, transmission problems etc, I think GM made the right decision in the making the gear ratios as is producing a sub 6 sec 0-60 mph. After testing it in the race track and real world testing esp if you are taking off, there is no bogging, no missed shift or gear not appropriate for speed. I can barely feel the shifting going to a smoother 0-60-100 mph. I did not feel that on the previous generation 6 speed, the early 2015 6 speed nor my hybrid. The only thing that's missing is it's reluctance to downshift to #5 or #6 when its in 8th unless I use the tap shift.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
My 8 Speed has been excellent in the first three months of various driving on streets, local highways and interstate highways.
Every shift has been smooth. do not feel the gear changes.
if provides power when I need it at any speed.
passengers are amazed with the power, acceleration for such a large heavy truck.

only down side is the gas economy is only about 13 MPG.
We have the 2015i Escalade 4WD ESV Platinum.
But I knew going in that my minivan only averaged 16MPG over 10 years.
The escalade is twice the weight, much bigger everything, much more solid, many more gadgets.
the height of the cargo compartment is a foot shorter in the Cadillac than in the Sienna, as the Cadillac floor is that much higher.

had to make family medical emergency trip to Brazil instead of our planned car trip to NJ from FL.
did not want to leave my new Cadillac in the Miami airport parking lot for 3 or more weeks.
so we took at airport taxi the 150 miles.
It made getting there so much more enjoyable.
Only downside is we had to spend 11 hours on layover in Sao Paulo in airport with all our bags.
since TAM only takes connecting bags when the flight is within 3 hours.
we could not go to the VIP lounge in Sao Paulo as we had all our bags and
the lounge is after the security checkin in the international terminal and we were dumped into he domestic terminal for our baggage check in.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
The original factory transmission was terribly sloppy with the clunk on acceleration, but with almost 2,000 miles on the new replacement 8 speed trans, it is perfect and tight! Shifts are just spot on! I am still amazed on how the engine/trans combo gets this heavy SUV up to speed with 7 people in it, cargo, full tank of fuel and A/C on. GM did a great job on that part of the truck!

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
It could be smoother.....but I accept that it's a "truck tranny"and hope durability goes along with that, the column shifter is archaic and "sloppy", the 8spd IS efficient....I make frequent 400 mile trips and have been getting 23/24 mpg averages!

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
I think the column shifter would work better if it didn't have an inch of slop in it. Move it to park and press the lever up and down and it moves a full inch! After writing the above, my daughter was driving and moved the shifter to what she thought was park, but it was reverse, as she started to get out. Very lucky nobody was behind us! The slop combined with the electronic delay inherent in the LED display is just not good. She would have been chasing the car down if I had not quickly hit the stop/start button from the passenger seat!

It is also difficult to use the "M" with a push button for shifting, and then trying to go back to "D". It is too easy to overshoot the mark with all the slop.

The tranny itself, though, is very impressive.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes I don't like the 8 speed! When in 2WD and I would drive spiritedly it does a burnout;)

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Platinum
19 Posts
I have a 2015i Platinum 4WD shorty with the 8 speed tranny that I bought in January and now have about 3500 miles on it. I have been feeling a bad clunk when coming to a stop or slowing down. It feels as if someone hit u from behind. Gonna take it to the dealer soon to get its first oil change and I'll let them know about this issue.

·
Registered
Cadillac
132 Posts
I have a 2015i Platinum 4WD shorty with the 8 speed tranny that I bought in January and now have about 3500 miles on it. I have been feeling a bad clunk when coming to a stop or slowing down. It feels as if someone hit u from behind. Gonna take it to the dealer soon to get its first oil change and I'll let them know about this issue.

That's EXACTLY what ours was doing. Actually felt like someone rear ended our car at times. It's done it a few time while dropping my girls off at school. They were yelling at me... "dad stop that". LoL, they thought I was doing it on purpose.
It's at the dealer now getting a new transmission. Took some Perserverence on my behalf, they gave me a NO about five times before agreeing to put in the transmission. Supposed to pick up the vehicle tonight or tomorrow, very curious to see how much better it is.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Platinum
19 Posts
TOBTEK, please let me know how it turns out. I don't think that replacing the transmission will fix anything at this point since GM just started selling these transmissions so they haven't even had time to find a fix.

·
Registered
Cadillac
132 Posts
TOBTEK, please let me know how it turns out. I don't think that replacing the transmission will fix anything at this point since GM just started selling these transmissions so they haven't even had time to find a fix.

GM4LIFE could probably chime in here, for he knows a lot more about these tranny updates. But I've read GM updated/changed the new 8 speeds in Feb. the clunking and backlash was common. ??? Keeping my fingers crossed. It's shocking they don't do more R&D before selling these things ????

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yes, that is correct. These transmissions were updated, but were updated in late February with a majority making it into production in March. So far, ours is ok. Our car seems fixed in terms of the transmission. Now, I have to get everything else fixed. It seems like every week something else pops up.

·
Registered
None
226 Posts
GM-4-LIFE said:
Yes, that is correct. These transmissions were updated, but were updated in late February with a majority making it into production in March. So far, ours is ok. Our car seems fixed in terms of the transmission. Now, I have to get everything else fixed. It seems like every week something else pops up.

13,000 miles on my premium ESV no issues so far . But I do need that repair code for the drivers seat I think there is movement sometimes we I take off really fast or stop fast .I'm taking it in for and oil change if you can please PM i would appreciate it GM4LIFE . Other then that loving my truck had it since July 2014 . Other then the old emblem on it I think it's a wonderful ride. No vibration no clunk just pure enjoyment . Good luck everyone with your trucks.

·
Registered
Escalade
2 Posts
I have had the clunking from the beginning also . It is in the shop now getting a new transmission it started shuttering at every gear change just turned 9000miles and they are looking into the clunk also

·
Registered
2017 Escalade
2 Posts
I suspect that the column shifter is a big electrical switch. Because this is a truck with a large towing capacity, it is likely the engineers thought it best to keep things traditional in feel and function.

·
Registered
CT6 & Escalade
246 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm a bit late to this party. Just bought a 2017 Platinum. LOVE IT.
One thing, though...
On about 3 or 4 occasions now, while driving slow (each time it was in a parking lot) it felt like someone rear-ended me hard.
Two nights ago, I was SURE someone hit me from behind.
And guess what? Nope! Must be the transmission.

So, I am just wondering where all this has netted out. This tread is about a year or two old, so I am a bit late to the party.

I would just like to know what the latest is with this situation. It's the 8L90 Tranny.

Just wondering what the latest TSBs have to say about this.

I'll be heading to the dealer in a few weeks to deal with a few small rattles, and I'll have to bring this up to them. I'd love to have your guys' knowledge in my back pocket.

Thanks!

Is there

1 - 20 of 47 Posts