Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here, in N.J. we have about 3 more weeks in which one can wash their car. None of my cars have ever gone to anyone to clean - but me. Nobody does it like I do. But by Halloween, it's all over. When my daily driver gets dirty, I am forced to take it to a hand wash. It's $30.00 and and it's more of a "Lick & a Promise to catch THAT next time" kinda deal. Never up to my standards. When I worked selling cars, I had the key to the dealership and I came in on Saturdays at 7AM, locked up behind me, and opened the overhead to the shop, brough my car in, turn on the lights, and the radio, and proceeded to really make it car show concours ready. I was done by 8:40 and changed clothes for a day on the showroom floor. Now, retired from that, and anybody & everybody I ever knew who owned a dealerhip has either sold or died! November 5th to mid-April is a looooong time to wait !
What do you guys do where winter means 10 above to 40 above for 25 weeks?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Make sure it has a good wax job to protect it thru the winter. We have enough above freezing days to take it to a hand wash to get the grime off and blast the undercarriage for salt.
Occasionally we take them thru automated "touchless" carwashes to get the underside really good.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
A coat of wax is the trick i think, just to protect your paint, i took the Vectra through a car wash recently and it took the paint off my mirror, (see the mirrors on a Vectra and you will realise they are not cheap!!!)

I avoid the car wash at all costs, and i only take our beaters through it, (ie my wifes Astra and my Vectra) i try and do it in the garage, which is sometimes successful, otherwise i use my winter car, which will be the STS this year, and for the real tough stuff i either dont drive, or take my Range Rover....

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
I am also in northern NJ and find plenty of days above freezing to wash them myself. I sometimes fill the wash bucket in the house with hot water. I have at times thought about running a hot water line out to the garage but never did it. Usually if the weather is that miserable washing is a waste of time anyway since the roads are usually full of crap and a short ride is all it takes to mess up a nice clean car. I have an 05 light platinum STS and it does a good job of not looking bad even when dirty. An old limo driver once told me to always keep the windows clean. Even a dirty car looks good when the glass is clean.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
malcolmd said:
An old limo driver once told me to always keep the windows clean. Even a dirty car looks good when the glass is clean.
Very true, trade secret, do you know how long it takes to was a 120" stretched Lincoln? LOL

My uncles newer limos are in silver

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Move to California?

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
No one washes and waxes my car but me either. Put another coat of syn. carnuba on a couple days ago and will occasionally drive it in the winter but never when it is slushy out. Often when it is bitterly cold out, the roads are clear like summertime. Going to also wait about 2 weeks when ice hits so that all the stupid drivers who tailgate eliminate themselves from the roads by making other cars "targets." Will be going to the warm water wand wash and hand wiping dry. Drove the 1980 Pontiac through 15 winters with tons of salt, and never had a rust problem, all it takes is a lot of love..

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Ralph said:
No one washes and waxes my car but me either. Put another coat of syn. carnuba on a couple days ago and will occasionally drive it in the winter but never when it is slushy out. Often when it is bitterly cold out, the roads are clear like summertime. Going to also wait about 2 weeks when ice hits so that all the stupid drivers who tailgate eliminate themselves from the roads by making other cars "targets." Will be going to the warm water wand wash and hand wiping dry. Drove the 1980 Pontiac through 15 winters with tons of salt, and never had a rust problem, all it takes is a lot of love..
It is the turn of the STS to be my winter car this year. FWD should be helpful.

My mother ISNT driving us anywhere this year.

I had an Audi Quattro, it was rusted within a few eyars of winter driving, but it was driven intoa stream once by a certain mother of mine........ some parts mustof retained the moisture and corroded the metal... thats all i can think of. ah well. For all it was a great car it was also a POS in the electrics department

HEadlights were temperamental

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
mccombie_5 said:
It is the turn of the STS to be my winter car this year. FWD should be helpful.

My mother ISNT driving us anywhere this year.

I had an Audi Quattro, it was rusted within a few eyars of winter driving, but it was driven intoa stream once by a certain mother of mine........ some parts mustof retained the moisture and corroded the metal... thats all i can think of. ah well. For all it was a great car it was also a POS in the electrics department

HEadlights were temperamental
FWD is a world of difference compared to the Grand Marquis I had. They have the most beautiful STS AWD in White Diamond in the showroom that would make a nice winter car, but it would kill me to drive a brand new car in the salt, etc.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Ralph said:
FWD is a world of difference compared to the Grand Marquis I had. They have the most beautiful STS AWD in White Diamond in the showroom that would make a nice winter car, but it would kill me to drive a brand new car in the salt, etc.
Yeah, on a slightly different note i just saw an advert for Cadillac in Top Gear magazine. Its advertising the STS, the CTS and the XLR in RIGHT HAND DRIVE

Im partying tonight, iwill have an XLR i will have an XLR

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Come to think of it, I'm the only one who washes and waxes my car too! :mad:
No one else will do it for me! :mad2: Lazy, good-for-nothin kids! :rant2:

:nono:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Kev said:
Come to think of it, I'm the only one who washes and waxes my car too! :mad:
No one else will do it for me! :mad2: Lazy, good-for-nothin kids! :rant2:

:nono:
LOL the boy does my Vectra if i pay him £20 (about $35)

·
Super Moderator
22,398 Posts
For the winter, switch to a solvent-based protectant instead of a normal wax. The shine won't be as bright (who cares if its covered in snow?), but the protection will be outstanding. Meguiar's NXT and NuFinish come to mind as affordable choices.

McCombie: If you get an XLR, I'll hate you even more. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I hired one of my son's friends from college who opened a mobile detailing business. He washes a different set of my cars every week/two weeks. He is a car enthusiast himself, so his work is almost perfect. I save the full detail jobs for when my oldest son comes home to visit, he and I always have a great time working on the cars together.

Virginia is as far North as I will ever live!!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Jesda said:
McCombie: If you get an XLR, I'll hate you even more. :)
LOL obviously it will be no good for anything other than cruising and playing with the roof...........

dont hate me, here, have a Vauxhall

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I've spent the past five winters in a black car. That was one of my biggest mistakes.

Winters aren't as harsh here, but when you're in the habit of hand washing every other week it's tough when winter comes along.

Go with silver, white, off-white, tan, or gold. Dark colors are beautiful when they're clean, so only buy them if you can keep them under cover and drive something else when it rains.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
mccombie_5 said:
LOL the boy does my Vectra if i pay him £20 (about $35)
damn ....if i played my cards right and did a good job waxing dads van years ago i would get ...$2.50 ....one time i asked for more ......he said if i got more he would charge rent .....i couldnt afford rent at 13 .... :histeric:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
Stoneage_Caddy