Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the manifold bolts off and the 4 O2 sensors are off. The manifold is droped but doesn't seem to wanna come all the way out...it's being block by other stuff. I'm using rhino ramps on the front and nothing on the back. Do I need to raise the back up also? Do I need to un bolt the cats from the manifold and take those out first? :confused:

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
Got air? If so use it (air wrench).

I used the biggest wrench I could get on the nut (LEVERAGE).:thumbsup:

Also, it helped to loosen these while the headers were still mounted to the manifold because it is just about impossible with the header flopping around.:eek:

·
Registered
04 cts v
531 Posts
sput the manifolds on the heads using two bolts. get them tight, dont over tighten and then go at the cat bolts. usually the cats are removed before you tale the manifilds lose. or you could jack the front higher and work them out. Personally I would jack the front higher, It will help when u go to install the headders

·
Registered
325 Posts
You just need to disconnect the cats at the back, at the cat back exhaust. If you break the studs its no big deal since you will be using bolts to connect the headers to the exhaust. So put a deep 13mm on a 1/2 in drive socket and put your weight into to. As someone above stated, do this before you have all the manifold bolts out so you have leverage. Then once the exhaust is disconnected, disconenct the O2 sensors wires. The rear ones are next to the transmission and the fronts you get to from the top at the back of the motor. Then you can remove the remaining manifild bolts and lower the manifolds out from the bottom. You will need to have the front of the car pretty high up.

The reason I know this, is that is exactly where I am at. I am taking a break right now for some food. Good luck. If you want to give me a call to discuss a bit let me know. I can PM you my number.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan gimme your number.

I don't have air

I already have the manifold bolts out and the O2 sensors out.

I went to sears and got a 15mm deep socket to remove the cats from the manifold. I used a LONG torque wrench and finally got the drivers side cats off the manifold...then the manifold fell and I got it out. Then on the passenger side the 15 mm deep socket split. So I returned it and the second one split. You know that damn bolt is on tight when it splits 2 sockets!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got another socket and this one worked. I got the cats off the manifold and the manifold out from both sides. Now I can move forward!!!

Thanks Dan!

Lessons Learned...If you are only using Rhino ramps...the cats must be taken off the manifold for it to slip down.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
how the hell did you get remove the 2 top 02 sensors off the top i'm having such a hardass time to remove those $%^&@#$!
It seems that you are about one step ahead of me LOL. I'm going to work on it until I atleast get the headers connected.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used an O2 sensor socket and a long torque wrench. The length of the torque wrench gave me more leverage. That was difficult though.

I just remembered. I couldn't get to them so I took the manifold bolts out (all of them). Then the whole thing dropped so I could get to the O2 sensors easier! That was another little trick I learned today!

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
Joey'sVee said:
I used an O2 sensor socket and a long torque wrench. The length of the torque wrench gave me more leverage. That was difficult though.

I just remembered. I couldn't get to them so I took the manifold bolts out (all of them). Then the whole thing dropped so I could get to the O2 sensors easier! That was another little trick I learned today!
That's what I was thinking of doing just dropping the manifolds.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Black Beast - I took the rears O2's out in place but dropped the manifolds out with the front O2s and then removed them.

Joey - I am glad the impact socket worked for you. One thing I was just thinking though. I hope your car is up high enough to get the headers back in. They did go in easier than the manifolds came out but the passenger side may be tight for you.

So what are the chances the 3 people in different parts of the country are spending their Saturday night installing headers in their CTS-V's?

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
DansCTSV said:
So what are the chances the 3 people in different parts of the country are spending their Saturday night installing headers in their CTS-V's?
You know, this site is amazing because of statements just like that! Good luck fellas!

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
I just need to Install now the coil brackets and install the 2nd half of the exhaust.

I stripped one of my 02 sensors does anyone know where can I get a longer replacement?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts