Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my pulley/tune V to the track for the first time yesterday. I live in South Florida and for our standards, the weather was decent. It was probably in the high 50's, low 60's at the start, and climbed into the 60's as the afternoon went on.

My first run there was no water in the box [thankfully]. I tried doing a small burnout just to heat the stock tires up and clean them off, but couldn't spin them. I was in "sport" transmission mode, but had traction control "on."

When the light turned green, I eased into the throttle and punched it. The car ran very well that first run and I pulled an 11.62 at 121.95 with a 1.917 60' time. Not a great 60', but I was happy considering I babied it during the launch.

I ran a couple more times shortly after that and I still couldn't get the tires to spin. I took traction control completely off (held button for ~10-seconds) and was able to spin them slightly, but it took some work. When I power brake, the car revs till about 1500 rpm and then just sits there. I ran a couple more times with the traction control still on, and every time I would lose traction down the course, the car would pull power. This resulted in crappy e/t, but decent trap speeds.

Finally, I let my friend---who is an amazing driver---give the car a run after letting it cool. He took traction control completely off, was able to do a small burnout right outside the water box (a little wet), and he actually made his run with TC off --- I had not done that on any of my runs. He eased into it and ran an 11.57 @ 121.86, with a 1.88 60' time. I am absolutely thrilled with the times my car run, but I'm looking for a little consistency.

So my question is two-fold: Do you take TC completely off when doing a burnout (logic would say "yes"), and when you actually make your run, do you leave TC off too?

Sorry for the questions, I've drag raced countless times, but I'm still learning my V.

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
traction control fully off. manually put it in first. left foot brake, right foot gas. right foot floor. if it wont spin, which it will, lift off the brake a tiny bit and keep your right foot down. once it breaks loose, keep both feet evenly planted... then after a nice boiling smoke has begun, lift off brake.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V
304 Posts
I have TC in competition mode and trans in Manual/Sport and in first gear. Rear tires in the water, left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas. When the tires start to spin bring the RPMs up to 4500 and shift to second. Bring the RPMS up to 4500-5k and roll out the burn out. Put the tranny to auto sport and hang on. I launch with left foot on the brake and right foot over the gas. I flash the converter and do not brake torque. As the second yellow goes out I hit the gas with the right as I release the brake with the left. 1.6 60' almost every time on street tires.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
traction control fully off. manually put it in first. left foot brake, right foot gas. right foot floor. if it wont spin, which it will, lift off the brake a tiny bit and keep your right foot down. once it breaks loose, keep both feet evenly planted... then after a nice boiling smoke has begun, lift off brake.
This is exactly what my friend did when he made the 11.5 pass.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
249 Posts
I drive around the water box. Back up and just spin the rear tires in the water. The pull up about 5-8 feet the put the trans in sport mode and go to 2nd gear. Hold it about half throttle until they start to smoke. Then floor it and tap shift to 3rd gear!

Traction control and StabiliTrak off.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (MG9)
280 Posts
Line-Lock. Makes it really easy.. especially with a manual.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V Crystal White, CF,AM Wheels
186 Posts
Lit
We have to meet up. You went to PBIA? I ordered my goodies from Jesse. Should be here soon...I hope. Pully ,Tune and CAI. I believe that what you have right?
Heck my C6Z only ran a 11.6 last time out. I told my wife she could drive the V and me in the Z. That would be uncool if I miss a shift and she takes me.
Great times for street tires.
So really no major spin of the line on street tires???? I would not belive the stockers would stick that good... unless you babied off the line.
Dennis

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lit
We have to meet up. You went to PBIA? I ordered my goodies from Jesse. Should be here soon...I hope. Pully ,Tune and CAI. I believe that what you have right?
Heck my C6Z only ran a 11.6 last time out. I told my wife she could drive the V and me in the Z. That would be uncool if I miss a shift and she takes me.
Great times for street tires.
So really no major spin of the line on street tires???? I would not belive the stockers would stick that good... unless you babied off the line.
Dennis
Dennis, I'm looking for fellow V's to go to the track with. PM me your phone number. 9.55" pulley from W4me, dyno tune from Diablo (local), and AirRaid CAI. I also have the Hennessey heat exchanger.

There was definitely spin on the line; I had to absolutely feather it to get anything under a 2.0. Even once it hooked, it would break loose down the track in 2nd gear. There's a lot of power, putting it down and keeping it down is the hard part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts