Cadillac Owners Forum banner

441 - 460 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS(Sold) 07 Escalade(Sold) 17 Buick Envision, 17 ZL1 Camaro, 18 XT5 Premium/Lux
153 Posts
JameU,
The standard start/stop module as you said has the 3 second delay which for all practical purpose disables the remote start functionality unless you can get the fob key press absolutely perfect for which I could never do. Living in a climate that gets cold in the winter I wanted the remote start to work so I approached the maker who sent me a module that had an extended time delay. This did resolve the remote start function but created another problem. The delay was now close to 6 seconds. I found myself easily getting in the car and starting it before the 6 second period expired, the result was stop/start functioning.

For the most part it was a catch 22 situation. For some of us not having the remote start functionality working is not a big deal. In this case the module effectively disables stop/start, just take an extra second or so before you fire up and drive off.

For me I could have lived with it using the module with the extended delay but I also despised the V4/V6 AFM functionality as well. I knew I needed a solution for both so I switched to Range technology OBD2 device. This unit effectively disables both of these useless annoyances without any detectable drawbacks. Perhaps with time Steve may be able to come up with a timing solution for this stop/start module.

What really gets me is that we all have to jump through hoops to disable this crap to begin with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So... has anyone taken the plunge on this thing yet? I'm super interested in it, it does seem like "the cat's meow" but obviously I'm wary of screwing anything up electrical-wise in a vehicle with the amount of tech we're dealing with here. I'd love to know if anyone is using one and what they think.

Start stop doesn't usually bother me but I sure wish I had the option to turn it off.

I'm currently training myself to do the trick where you flick down to M and back to D when waiting at a stop light to keep it running. So far so good.
I bought a 2017 XT5 two months ago and the start stop was driving me nuts. Bought the ATF module two weeks ago and so far everything is great.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts
Bought the StopSmart Auto Stop device I found on this forum. Quick & easy install, works as it should, and I made it easy to remove for any dealer trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I,don't like it bought my Xt5 cause I started having. Electric problem in my. 2015 sex loved that car will trade it comes nxt Feb for Q5 audi cadillac is going to the dogs.

·
Registered
XT5
380 Posts
Audis are VWs subject to billions in fines for emissions violations in Europe and US (where executives are going to jail or have outstanding criminal warrants). Only way to pay those billions is to take quality out of the cars and overprice the hyped mechanical residue. "The Peoples' Car", com'on!

·
Registered
2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,527 Posts
I,don't like it bought my Xt5 cause I started having. Electric problem in my. 2015 sex loved that car will trade it comes nxt Feb for Q5 audi cadillac is going to the dogs.
Not exactly certain what you are stating in this incoherent paragraph. Since you posted in a Start/Stop thread, you may be complaining about the Start/Stop in the XT5...howver, be aware the Q5 also has Start/Stop. My daughter-in-law drives a 2018 Q5 daily and she says the XT5 Start/Stop is much smoother than that in the Q5 which is smoother than the BMW my Son had in 2015. She has a button to turn it off after each start, but feels she saves gas, especially in warmer weather with AC on letting the Start/Stop function as programmed.

·
Registered
XT5
63 Posts
Hi guys,

I know of the start stop disable module you can purchase mentioned on here. Was just wondering now that the 2020 XT5 has the disable switch, wondering if we could use that from the 2020 and retrofit it in to the earlier models?..and can it be done

·
Registered
XT5
380 Posts
The '20 XT's have a one cycle defeat switch which must be pushed every time you start the car. It cannot be moved to earlier years and I can't see why you would want to as it is just too much trouble.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The '20 XT's have a one cycle defeat switch which must be pushed every time you start the car. It cannot be moved to earlier years and I can't see why you would want to as it is just too much trouble.
Why can't the disable switch functionality be leveraged or retrofitted? Have you checked the schematics and confirmed this? BTW, the OCD is actually quite helpful in that it's pretty easy to make a timed auxiliary device to cycle that circuit after a timed first start. Even if this cannot be easily retrofitted to earlier models, this OCD is a great thing as it provides direct access that can be leveraged.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury 2014 SRX.... Previously owned 1995 ElDorado, 2000 STS, 2005 CTS and 2006 SRX
59 Posts
Just move the shift to "M" as you are coming to the stop...once you have stopped, move it back to "D". It will not cut the engine off. No big deal. If I'm at one of those long red lights, I let it cut the engine off.

·
Registered
17' XT5 Lux Prem
6 Posts
Purchased the Range AFM disabler as well. I just traded in my 2013 SRX Premium for the 2017 XT5 Lux Prem. I was pretty unhappy with the V4 vibration/shudder and not too thrilled with Auto Stop. Plugged the Range device in and thrilled now that both issues are no longer present. Worth the money in my book.

·
Registered
XT5
380 Posts
The simplest way to disable start-stop is to put a small 100 ohm resistor in the fuse circuit on top of the battery. You can just substitute the resistor for the fuse if you bend the leads just right or you can just wire nut it into the circuit on top of the battery. While this works fine, I came up with a more complicated circuit (which I use) that puts a 120 ohm resistor in the circuit whenever the truck is not running using a relay! How do we disable Start/Stop

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury 2014 SRX.... Previously owned 1995 ElDorado, 2000 STS, 2005 CTS and 2006 SRX
59 Posts
The simplest way to disable start-stop is to put a small 100 ohm resistor in the fuse circuit on top of the battery. You can just substitute the resistor for the fuse if you bend the leads just right or you can just wire nut it into the circuit on top of the battery. While this works fine, I came up with a more complicated circuit (which I use) that puts a 120 ohm resistor in the circuit whenever the truck is not running using a relay! How do we disable Start/Stop
A drawing would be helpful :)

·
Registered
XT5
380 Posts
A drawing would be helpful :)
The final sentence of my posting above is a hyperlink which will take you to a series of photos showing the fix. My car was new and I made it complicated as I did not want to make irreversible alterations. Feel free to repost any of my photos. I had thought someone might commercialize my more complicated scheme and I invited them to do so. Maybe readers did not understand that GM's battery management system checks the voltage/status of the battery when the car is off such that fooling it will prevent it from using stop/start in the next ignition-on cycle. Make it easy: just wire nut a 100 ohm resistor in the fused circuit across the top of the battery.

441 - 460 of 480 Posts