Cadillac Owners Forum banner

401 - 420 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS(Sold) 07 Escalade(Sold) 17 Buick Envision, 17 ZL1 Camaro, 18 XT5 Premium/Lux
153 Posts
This is so funny, there are those of you who are so passionate in support of this feature thinking it will save so much fuel, I submit for your consideration additional wear, batteries, labor costs (and the carbon footprint for the additional parts) not to mention the electric, travel to and from a dealership for a repair this will create in the long run.
This is another boondoggle created by government CAFE regulation and jammed down the automakers throat that was not needed. IMO (Remember the polution controls of 73? )

Personally, I think it can be dangerous in certain conditions especially to those who may not be aware of it or normally or do not drive the vehicle regularly. I would be more prone to support it if it waited 1 minute before activating, such as long periods at a stop light or the stop and go traffic of a vehicle accident on the highway, then it might actually make some sense. But in its current form its trouble waiting to happen.

Bottom line, a disable switch is what is needed, if you don't mind the feature fine as is, use it, enjoy it, but give those of us who think its useless crap the ability to shut it off. Personally, I have already shelled out the cash to disable it, good riddance. Now, if GM comes out with an update to make it usable and sensible I might actually remove the bypass and allow it to work. Again, IMO.

·
Registered
07 CTS(Sold) 07 Escalade(Sold) 17 Buick Envision, 17 ZL1 Camaro, 18 XT5 Premium/Lux
153 Posts
I would love to see someone post a poll or likes vs dislikes, the results would be interesting

·
Registered
2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,527 Posts
To be completely fair, there are those who dislike S/S and those who have accepted and live with it. It is doubtful anyone likes it, but have accepted the realization that if we want to continue purchasing internal combustion engines, technology like this will enable us to do so.

·
Registered
XT5
380 Posts
The minimum for a resistor placed in the sensor circuit to defeat stop-start is 80 ohms, not 100. This is the result of testing with a sensitive variable resistor.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
38 Posts
Re: Stop-Start disabled, resistor fuse

Hello, I am new to the forum and I have a question for the group. My wife and I recently purchased a 2018 XT5 and was introduced to the benefits of stop/start technology (not so much). After reading several posts about this, some don't mind the technology and some dislike it. I am in the latter. I read that some people purchased a product from Smart-Stop-Start. A plug and play module to permanently disable the stop start function. I purchased the product but have yet to install it. For those who have used this product, have you encountered and problems over the long run? Thanks for any assistance.
No problems at all. I've had it installed for awhile now (2 months) and it works great. It's also an easy install. For me, the start/stop was a PIA. In another vehicle we have there's a toggle switch to disable it. Not in the XT5. When I drive it now I don't even think about it. Since I put below average mileage on it there's really no fuel savings for me anyway, even though that wasn't an issue for the decision to disable it. For me, driving it disabled is a lot smoother experience and I won't be enabling it. If you use remote start you just have to press the start button on the dash twice, instead of once, in order to keep start/stop disabled. Overall, very satisfied with the module.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Hello, I am new to the forum and I have a question for the group. My wife and I recently purchased a 2018 XT5 and was introduced to the benefits of stop/start technology (not so much). After reading several posts about this, some don't mind the technology and some dislike it. I am in the latter. I read that some people purchased a product from Smart-Stop-Start. A plug and play module to permanently disable the stop start function. I purchased the product but have yet to install it. For those who have used this product, have you encountered and problems over the long run? Thanks for any assistance.
fpfd911, There is only 1 drawback to the plug and play module and that is if you have the remote start option. 2 things must happen for the remote start to work properly, that is, first, the car must be sleeping (30 minutes from the last activity) and you must depress the start immediately after you hit the lock on the remote. If you don't the lights will flash and the car will not remote start. The timing is critical. If you are one of those people who depend on the remote start feature (ie cold or very hot climate) you may want to consider the resistor fix to start/stop.

I have installed the bypass module on 2 of my GM products and glad I did. Once you get use to the remote fob button press timing for remote start you are good to go.

·
Registered
XT5
37 Posts
By the way, Seems like some people here don't like to hear it but with the resistor option the remote start works without any change.

Thanks for Arminius to narrow down the minimum for the resistor to defeat stop-start. now we know it is 80 ohms.

Also, for the past month I am using a 0.5A (half amp) which I added in line to the resistor without any problem. (because the max amp on that circuit is 0.03A)

·
Registered
2017 xt5, Cadillac cts 2008 di fe2 awd
23 Posts

The remote start from the Onstar app works fine without having to push 2 buttons. I have the smart-start-stop.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury W/ Carbon Plum Interior
27 Posts
Willthe Smart Stop module affect the new vehicle warranty and should it be removed before bringing vehicle in for service?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Willthe Smart Stop module affect the new vehicle warranty and should it be removed before bringing vehicle in for service?
It should not and as far I know does not throw any codes so it should not be detected unless someone is actually looking for it. I would not think it would affect warranty in any way.

If I were to take my XT5 in for service (other then the customary oil change) I would spend the 5 minutes it takes to pop it out just to make sure.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
822 Posts
Keep in ind that in order for a car manufacturer to deny warranty service due to a 3rd party device or modification, they are required to PROVE that such device/mod actually caused the problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Keep in ind that in order for a car manufacturer to deny warranty service due to a 3rd party device or modification, they are required to PROVE that such device/mod actually caused the problem.
This is true, but ask yourself the question, is it worth getting into a pissing contest with "GM" when it is so much simpler to take a few minutes to just unplug it? Unplugging wins every time!

·
Registered
2017 XT5
822 Posts
The way that law works, it would be GM in a contest with the government, because that's who enforces warranty laws. Those laws are quite clear and most dealer's shops are well-versed in them. It's a moot point for me as I don't use such a device.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The government does not enforce warranty laws. If a customer feels a repair should be covered under warranty and the auto manufacturer denies the claim, the only recourse is litigation. During litigation the auto manufacturer must prove the denial has merit. That is the only way you reach the point of the manufacturer having to prove the denial is warranted.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
822 Posts
Actually, the FTC enforces automobile (and all product) warranties. If a manufacturer (i.e. their dealership representative) fails to cover a warranted repair because they claim it is due to "aftermarket parts", contact the FTC. They WILL intervene. For example, you install a hardwired radar detector in your car and then your transmission goes out. The dealership service shop claims that the radar detector created "electrical interference" that caused the TCU to fail. They will have to prove that to deny the claim. I worked in a dealership and dealt with these issues. Our shop was well-versed in this and dealt with a few FTC claims. One in particular was a customer who had a remote-start module installed that began to wreak havoc with the door lock system. Once the aftermarket system was unplugged, everything went back to normal. We refused to fix the aftermarket module, and of course the FTC backed us. Oh, and we were able to charge for labor, too.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
There are several examples of warranty disputes on the Corvette Forums and this is the first mention of the FTC being an enforcer of disputes related to automobile warranties.

First of all, I doubt the module plugged into the hood latch would be cause of any attention at a dealership because it is simply using the function built into the engine controls to disable start/stop while a mechanic is working on a vehicle. Secondly, it is highly unlikely a technician at a dealership would even notice the module.

Back to the function of the FTC. The FTC does not open a case for a complaint by an individual. The FTC takes action when there are a lot of complaints about a company. There are far too many complaints for the FTC to take action on each and every one.

Here is more detail from a lawyer about the FTC functions:
https://www.harmony.law/what-happens-when-a-consumer-files-a-complaint-to-the-federal-trade-commission

Another industry watchdog is the NTSB. It also does not take action on individual cases but assesses the need for investigation based upon receipt of several complaints for a specific vehicle model.

There are laws such as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which protect the use of after-market replacement parts, but in order for an individual to pursue protection under that Act, an individual must file suit against a manufacturer when they think they were unjustly denied warranty coverage because of use of such parts. A legal proceeding will require the manufacturer to prove they do not need to pay for a repair when the after-market part was the cause for failure. Auto manufacturers have very large and talented legal teams and they usually have the upper hand when denying coverage.

If the FTC or NTSB were staffed to intervene on each and every individual complaint, our government would be very bloated and put in jeopardy the freedoms we have in this great Country of ours.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
822 Posts
When I worked at the dealership, we had to respond to several FTC complaints filed by customers. There is a particular set of procedures they use for handling automobile warranty claims. In my case, all of the complaints were from customers whose warranties had expired and that was their complaint, but we still had to respond. Sometimes the complaint came directly to my dealership, but sometimes it came through the manufacturer (MBUSA). They all originated with a customer contacting the FTC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed the smart start stop module. It works great with one exception. When I start the vehicle an open hood alert comes on for few seconds. Anyone else experience the same?

·
Registered
XT5
14 Posts
I installed the smart start stop module. It works great with one exception. When I stoop the vehicle an open hood alert comes on for few seconds. Anyone else experience the same?
Your post has a typo, so I am not clear what you mean.

If the 'hood open' alert comes on for a couple of seconds or so right after you start the car and then automatically goes away for the remainder of the drive, this IS normal.

If the 'hood open' alert comes on every time you stop the car at a stop sign, traffic light, etc. this IS NOT normal. If this is the case please contact [email protected] for support.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Corrected the typo. If it’s normal when starting the vehicle I must have never noticed it. Thanks and sorry for the typo.

401 - 420 of 480 Posts