Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 DHS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a complete set of 2 Keys + Valet Key + 2 Fobs in the junkyard this weekend & the keys fit the car I found them in. My car only has 1 key - and it doesnt work on my door. How feasible would it be to transfer the door lock cylinder and/or & ignition assembly to my car? What are some other options - e.g. reprogramming the fobs, or re-keying my car? Thanks.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Not. The car's TheftLock system gets in the way, and changing all the lock cylinders is a real bitch.

New keys (local locksmith) can be recognized by you performing the key learn procedure in the owner's manual.

Fobs are programmed by a dealership because each pair is identified by the car's module programming and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). They use a GM diagnostic programmer called Tech-II to "talk" to the fobs - a mere $4,000 for one. (A real one.)

If your existing key works in the ignition (without setting off alarms) and trunk then something is wrong with the (driver's ??) door lock.

·
Registered
2003 DHS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is indeed some type of issue with drivers door lock. I have never been able to open the door lock since I bought the car...and I have to roll down the window just to open the car door. I'm not quite sure if the issue is a worn key, loose lock rod, faulty DDM or combo of those things.

I went back to the JY car where I scored the keys and snagged the door lock -was actually pretty easy. Gonna give the door lock swap a try...

·
Registered
1995 Deville
38 Posts
I am not sure if it is the same issue or not but on my 1995 Deville, I could not unlock the door with my keys due to the power lock actuator(a plastic rod attached to the door latch assembly) having gotten jammed and causing the door not to be able to be unlocked with the outside door lock(I could open it from the inside). Normally the 94-99 Devilles are known for a lazy power door lock but this is the first time I came across it causing the lock to bind. I removed the latch and the door lock actuator rod had popped out and caused it all to bind. (The plastic "cup" that attached to the rod was perfect and not split like most ) I replaced the door latch and it all worked fine again.

Now this was a 1995 Deville so they may have changed it up for your year car.

However to verify if your car has a problem with the door lock cylinder or the latch try this:

Take the door panel off and unhook the rod that attaches to the back/side of the lock cylinder

Then stick the key in the lock and try turning it. If the lock still does not turn then you have a frozen/binding lock cylinder. If it turns perfectly then your latch is the issue.

The other thing I can think of is if the past owner decided to "lube" the lock with graphite. That stuff will cause the lock to bind up. Taking some silicone lube or WD40 and spraying it until the lube starts coming out and running down the door will clear it out.

Good luck

·
Registered
2003 DHS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I went ahead and swapped the JY lock cylinder into my door handle. Was pretty easy - especially since I already had the door trim panel out. I did not even have to fully remove the door handle. Now I can lock & unlock the car from the exterior! However, I STILL cannot open the door from the inside(?!) - but I will address this in another thread....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts