Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ESC EXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am a new Full Size SUV owner (2013 Hybrid ESC). My vehicle is a the Crystal Red that really shows the road spray. Now I live in a dry area but anytime there is rain or wet streets the sides and rear of the vehicle get very dirty. Now I know mud flaps will help the side but the rear is a mystery. I am thinking of one of those air flow foils to re-direct the air coming over the vehicle. You know the plastic or metal piece that mounts on the back roof and forces air down the back of the vehicle Anyone familiar with the effect of these products. Do they help? Do they work at all? Is that really their purpose? Does anyone have one of these?

I also have an EXT and the tail gate does not show nearly as much dirt as the ESC.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
I can't help you with the Escalade but I added a roof spoiler from GM for a '92 Yukon I had and it worked to a degree. Some of the wind coming over the roof top was directed down by the spoiler and it helped to keep the rear of the Yukon cleaner from dry road dust, and from rain spray. Plus it looked good on the Yukon, in fact when I sold the '92 for a '99 I removed it from '92 and installed on my '99.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,455 Posts
I don't drive mine during inclement weather, too much trouble to clean it.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
311 Posts
Interesting question. Guess I never thought maybe there's a way to prevent the back from getting so dirty. I wash my vehicle once every week or two, especially in the winter (salt). So it would be pointless for me to purchase something to prevent it. But I do agree, on longer road trips it's annoying when you go to get something out of the back through the glass hatch and dirt/crap rubs on your clothes from the filthy liftgate.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
2kflhr said:
I can't help you with the Escalade but I added a roof spoiler from GM for a '92 Yukon I had and it worked to a degree. Some of the wind coming over the roof top was directed down by the spoiler and it helped to keep the rear of the Yukon cleaner from dry road dust, and from rain spray. Plus it looked good on the Yukon, in fact when I sold the '92 for a '99 I removed it from '92 and installed on my '99.
Any pics of this spoiler? Like a spoiler alert;)

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
I just so happen to still have it as I took it off when I sold the '99 and will dig it out and take a photo of it. It fit the roof contour of the GMT400 perfectly and was made of gloss black ABS plastic I suppose. I would say it's extremely rare as I've never seen another like it on a nother Tahoe/Yukon. I had a buddy that was the parts manager at a Chevrolet dealership at the time and told me about it so I had him order one for me.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Drive in reverse..... :suspense:

For the dust, there are some wax's on the market that stop the static cling of dust. I don't think there is any way to stop the road spray from the tires especially if you are driving over 30 MPH.

·
Registered
2013 ESC EXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the various input. I just came from the car wash, 2 miles away. I pulled into the garage and walked around the vehicle inspecting the wash job. Aside from some water dripping down the sides, the back was dusty already.
It seems that the turbulance generated at the rear of the vehicle is an aerodynmic situation that I was hoping I could solve with the air spoiler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts