Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 DeVille has cracked "wood" trim on the inside front by the passenger right vent as well as on the driver side above the lights. They just brought a 1996 into a local junkyard and the interior is clean. How do I remove the wood trim and replace it. I've looked, but don't see any easy way (or screws). Do I need to remove the dash?

Thanking you in advance!

Thad :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Hmmm.....curios myself.

BTW I think the "wood" might be real wood no?

I've been told that the wood in my 98 is actually real wood, though it looks too glossy

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
To get the wood trim off the dash, you need to:

1. Remove the vent deflectors. Use a spark plug gap gauge (the swing-out kind with the long sheetmetal fingers) to slide in alongside the deflectors on either end. This releases a little plastic tab. Once released, the vents pull straight outwards from the dash.

2. Inside the vent openings at an upward angle to the dash pad are screws. These need to come out as they hold the trim and the front of the dash pad.

I don't think you need to remove the dash pad to get these off, but if you find you don't have enough clearance, you'll need to pull it also. This is done by popping out the defrost grille. There are screws underneath it that hold the front (nearest windshield) edge down. Also, if you have the center channel speaker in the dash, this has to come out as well.

A couple of other notes:

- the long piece (passenger side) has hook and loop (velcro) on the back to hold it tight to the dash. Be careful when releasing this.

- There are flexible ducts attached to the side window defrost vents at the outer extremeties of these two pieces. These will probably come detached when you remove the wood pieces, and are difficult to put back on when reassembling, be patient and don't crush the flex ducts.

Oh, and the only cars that came with REAL wood 94-96 were the Concours. The base DeVilles all had plastic fake wood, in two versions, dark walnut and light canyon wood (which was only put in spring special edition cars AFAIK).

The real zebrano wood will have the Concours logo in silver embossed in the long passenger side piece right above the glove box. Also, the real wood is very glossy and smooth as it has a thick acrylic finish on it, leading some to think it is plastic - but it isn't.

BTW Powerglide - your 98 will have real wood if it is a Delegance or Concours, I believe the base still had plastic in 98, Although the 97-99 plastic was noticeably better looking than the 94-96.

KDirk

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,731 Posts
Kdirk said:
Although the 97-99 plastic was noticeably better looking than the 94-96.
yeah, the fake wood in my '94 Deville is nasty looking! But the Zebrano wood in my old '94 Deville Concours was gorgeous! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I didn't know that the base deville had fake wood in 98......darn.

You couldn't just let me keep on believing eh? :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Powerglide-

I could be mistaken on that, 97 may have been the last year they did fake wood. I know I've seen a couple of the 97-99 design that had fake wood, but I don't know for certain what years they were.

Anyway, if it looks real to you, that's all that matters, right?

KDirk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kdirk -

You're outstanding!:bouncy: With your instructions, I successfully changed both my driver and passenger side "wood" trim pieces within 1 hour! The new trim pieces from the junkyard look brand new!!!! And, they only charged me $30 for both pieces. I couldn't have done it without your help! You're the best!

Thad

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Do not fear, Powerglide, Wood Dash Experts can fix you up with the real thing! At least that's what happened with my '98 SDV. They gave you the choice between the real thing and the fake stuff.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Holy smokes Frost thats beautiful!

I really like that steering wheel, real wood right?
I have never seen that steering wheel on our body style cars....sweet!
(Do you recall how much it cost just for the wheel?)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Actually, the wood/leather steering wheel came from a 2002 Eldo that had met a tragic, early demise. I bought it from Cardio Doc at one of his auctions. Originally the leather wrap was a dove grey (shale?), but a quick trip to leathermagic.com for one of their dye kits in the appropriate shade of Dark Montana Blue took care of all that.

I re-used my own air bag and cover.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The wheel was a little less than $300.00 and the dye kit was around 40 bucks.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Thanks!

Nice results for sure........so Eldo's came with wood/leather wheels that fit Devilles?

I gotta start lookin!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thad,

Glad to be of help. I replaced my (fake) wood on the dash and all four doors about a year ago with the real wood from a concours. A major improvement for sure, so I had already tackled this one. Not too bad really, the doors were more difficult than the dash though.

Powerglide -

The Eldo's came (optionally) with a wood/leather wheel in 2001-2002. May have also been available in 2000, not sure. These will fit 96-99 Devilles directly. They'll also fit 94 and 95 Devilles, but you'll have gaps where the steering wheel controls go that weren't present on these years.

I'm planning one of these for my Deville, but they are rare, and to get a new one from the dealer will be $450-650 depending on the source. Salvage yard cars with these seem few and far between.
Definately worth doing to upgrade the appearance on our Devilles, I don't know why they didn't offer this to begin with.

One other option to do this is to have your exisitng wheel redone by an outfit like American Stitches. They will mod an existing all leather wheel to be factory matched leather/wood. This runs about $450 as well, and takes about a week from the looks of things. I may go this route if I don't find an as-new factory wheel.

KDirk

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Thanks Kdirk!
Thats alot more $$ than I want to spend.....I wish I could find one used (in good condition) but thats gonna be a long a shot I suppose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts