Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other nite after dark. driving short ( 3 miles or so)distance home "coolant Low" came on .
I said okay to myself. Then few blocks later "stop engine" code came up. Scared me. pulled over to wide shoulder . Let it cool, opened hood. a nice young guy took off the cap with an old T shirt from his car. I told him thanks I would deal with rest myself.:confused:
I hesitated calling AAA figured it would be a while.
would they have topped off the coolant for me ??? Dang I should have checked Gas station and bought some there. But I figured I had some in garage.
I added some 50/50 I had in my trunk. Looked like I still could not see it filled. So I walked few businesses down to a Gas station. Got some water there. about 4 plastic water bottles full. Put it in myself, put back on dang lid myself. I was only strong enough to almost get that "arrow" to line up with tube. Plus was using a flashlight.
Drove the couple miles to other Grocery. There for like 20 minutes. Got back in car went the 6 block or so " coolant low again" Stop engine". dang was I mad. only a block or so from my house. Scared so pulled over. Opened hood and walked home with groceries. went back half hour or so and drove home and backed it into garage.
So Ive been procrastinating lately. Just ride bike around. Lot less complicated but its hot outside. Didnt really need to drive anywhere. But thinking of driving or havng AAA tow me to radiator shop
BUT in meantime I thought I would fill it up myself. Duh I CANT get cap off:confused::rant2: I want to try putting Dexcool in myself.
I pushed down as best I can but only can get it counterclosewise to "twelve oclock on clock" position. That DANG white big part is in way.
RRRRRR. They make everything so hard for us women. Do They make a TOOL to help me?????? :rant2::mad:
NOW I will admit no one has checked levels since my oil change. I don't drive much
Sorry for the long question but trying to tell you details
Thank you
Jean

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,110 Posts
Grab the rubber disc thingy from the kitchen drawer - the bottle top grabber (not the metal ratchet thing......). Use that to twist off the cap. If the cap looks like it has two "ears" or tangs, it must be pushed down and twisted CCW to pass a couple of safety locks.

The surge tank should hold a level of half full, engine cold. Overfill and it blows out the top.

If the tank persists in blowing off coolant for no apparent reason, you have other engine problems. If that persists, head for a good local shop............

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,574 Posts
To add to what Sub said, when you push down on the cap, use the meaty part of the palm of your hand. That way you can lean on it and put you weight on it as you twist it. Pretty easy once you get the right technique.

Please edit your profile to add the year of you car. Things like these caps change. Some screw on and some, Like I suspect yours is, is the dual detent type.

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys I did try to edit my post. As soon as I submitted it I noticed I did not mention my*****model. the 97 Deville......The edit asked Why I was trying to edit at the bottom. I did so. But I guess I didnt click on something right. I was so frustrated. Tried for several hours off and on. But I couldnt get past the 12 oclock position and I did bear down with palm of my hand. But I guess I dont have upper body strength being only 120 lbs or so and constantly working the yard etc plus being a "SEnior". So most neighbors are inside in this heat. Most neighbors are older than I am.
So frustrated I got on my bike and went to grocery and Lowes right before dark. So I worked off some of my frustration. Love my little bike though. But it lets me down too. The dang long bolts with spring attached have fell off under the seat twice this week. So when I got back after dark I put bike upside down to remind me to retighten the bike seat bolts. LOL
So I told the guy at Lowes , If I did not have Bad luck I had no luck at all. Plus rear red clamp on light lense fell off fell off. LOL. Ah well woke up this morning ,and Im still here. I count my blessings.
So a few minutes ago found the young guy across the street , taking his smoke , got the nerve up. to ask him to take cap off for me. Its hot outside again today. He did so easily of course.
Now I hope the car(garage spoiled) starts.
So now I guess I will put in that antifreeze, I have(full strength)
Thanks guys for letting me vent
Think I may call radiator shop and see if they can check it. being already almost noon and a Friday. No way will I let them keep it overnite or till Monday.
Take care all
Jean

Thank goodness, cause I hate to call AAA and the wait.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts