Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking if getting a Wood Grain Shifter nob from Ebay for 25 bucks
but is it hard to remove the old nob how do i do that
thank you

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
On the older Sevilles, there's a small U shaped clip embedded in the back of the shifter handle that you pry out with a fine-bladed screw driver, but I've read here that on newer Sevilles, you just pull up on the knob. Probably set the shifter first to "D" so it's straight up. If you have the clip, there will be a small cleave in the back of the handle.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the older Sevilles, there's a small U shaped clip embedded in the back of the shifter handle that you pry out with a fine-bladed screw driver, but I've read here that on newer Sevilles, you just pull up on the knob. Probably set the shifter first to "D" so it's straight up. If you have the clip, there will be a small cleave in the back of the handle.
i dont see anything on where to use a screw driver for the nob and if i put it in Drive id be afred to role away becous ehte Parking break releas when the car is taken out of park

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Put the key in the ignition and turn it to "on" but do not start the car. Now with your foot on the brake, put the shifter into "1". Look at the back of the knob about 1 inch up from the base. If you see a horizontal slit, you have the clip. If not, I've read here that you just pull the knob off. If someone here knows differently, please assist.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Correct, if you dont' have the slit in it its just held in place with a spring clip, now warning, it takes a fair amount of force to pull it off so be wary of hitting yourself in the head.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
Almost knocked myself out switching my leather knob to a wooden one. :D It pulls straight off...no clips or anything.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost knocked myself out switching my leather knob to a wooden one. :D It pulls straight off...no clips or anything.
wondering if i sprayed some sort of a liquid wrench under the nob or somthing like that if it would be bad or help move it off easier

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
wondering if i sprayed some sort of a liquid wrench under the nob or somthing like that if it would be bad or help move it off easier
It will make your hand slippery, other than that … nothing.
Here is my thread about the shifter knob removal, is mainly about the pre ’98 model but peoples described their experience with the post ’97 knobs in few posts.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Don't spray anything, just eat some Wheaties and don't smack yourself in the face.
There is a clip in there that likes to hang on.
You have to pull like you wouldn't believe but it will come off.
This is if it is the inverted teardrop design. If it is a T handle it will have a pin in it somewhere as noted above.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't spray anything, just eat some Wheaties and don't smack yourself in the face.
There is a clip in there that likes to hang on.
You have to pull like you wouldn't believe but it will come off.
This is if it is the inverted teardrop design. If it is a T handle it will have a pin in it somewhere as noted above.
no not the T its the big one that looks like a thubs sticking up

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Just so there is no confusion:

1. Pre ’96 shifter knob (also referred as “T” knob)

2. ‘96-’97 (Seville) ‘96-’02 (Eldorado) shifter knob (I saw it referred as cobra head knob)

3. ’98 – ’03 (Seville) and ~’99 – up Deville woodgrain shifter knob

3.1. Also available in leather (up to ~’01)

First 2 have the horseshoe clip (in front bellow the button) the other two have an internal spring-loaded clip.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
I believe his is like 3.1. Give it a little twist as you pull on it. That helped mine come off rather easily.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I'm guessing that the "T" and Cobra types are the ones with the clip embedded in the back.
Exactly :highfive: the so called “horseshoe” clip, and by “back” you understand the driver’s point of view, because in reality the clip is in the front of the knob (towards the front of the car), but that’s just a technicality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts