1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1978 coupe deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
How do I lower the back end of my 78 coupe deville,
Looking at least 1inch drop to rear only.
Whats the cheapest option?
Cutting springs?
Spring replacement? Which i can't find anyway.
Cheers David,
Australia

·
Registered
2012 BMW 550i xDrive MSport, 2015 Chevy SS, 2017 Camaro, 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
1,243 Posts
I bet it's going to be tough to find OEM height springs, let alone lowering springs. Your best bet will probably be to cut half a coil off. You might want to look into which other GM cars shared the same chassis code as your car, and see if there are any springs available for those cars. I'm not sure what your chassis code is, but I know Camaro/Firebirds are F-body, Corvettes are Y-body, Cavaliers were J-body, Cutlass/Monte/Regal/Grand Prix/Malibu in the 80's were G-body, early 90's through late aughts Impala/Grand Prix/Cutlass/Regal were W-body.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,262 Posts
Two bodies in the trunk will do it.

That's how we do it in New Jersey.
Don't forget to unplug the pump!

OP, the (drivers?) rear wheel on your car has an adjustable height sensor for the level control (if the car is so equipped and if its still working) You can loosen the screw slightly and tweak the arm to achieve the ride height you want (rear only) without appreciably changing the way the car rides. The sensor should look something like this and have a small plastic-headed rod snapped onto it:

·
Registered
1978 coupe deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two bodys, ha ha, was thinking cement.
Its a base model coupe, no fancy ride level gizmo,
Might cut them I think.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Yup.

Don't cut your springs. It will ride like shit. Trust me. Been there done that bought the t-shirt and installed enough lowering springs on heavy cars to know.

Don't do it. Get the SS springs. You'll get about an inch and some change of drop. If you want LOW, get some lowering springs for one of those cars.

·
Registered
1978 coupe deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Howdy,
I have been seaching but can't seem to come up with much at all.
Ive found lowerd SS springs on ebay,
I gess I'm looking for standed springs for a SS? Would that be right guys?
Any brands or part numbers that you know of?
Regards David

·
Registered
1978 coupe deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just checked on this part number,
Its not listing these to fit a 94 96 impala as a previous reply states thats would fit,
Like to order straight away, sure these will fit?
Cheers David

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Positive. It's not the OEM list for the car, but it's the closest match to the original rate, height, pigtail, and coil diameter.

They'll fit.

Similarly, on my Caprice, I have other Moog springs that don't list for a Caprice but the specifications match. Many of the GM cars (and some trucks) use the same type of spring.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
You're welcome!

I'll be in your neck of the woods in April. My fiancee is from Adelaide, so when you said "heaps" I knew. lol

·
Registered
1978 coupe deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi stingroo,

I been searching as we do for the cheapest price,
Came across some Affinity brand part number 2773007 on eagle auto parts ebay.com.au, these are ment to fit various GM cars from 73 to 90, 125 Aussie dollars,
Stingroo do you know this brand? Can't find anything on them.
The guys at eagle just dont know as much as you.
Cheers "Heaps"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts